• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Access to mailbox

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamieeimaj

I have a similar issue as the dwelling place I reside in has been here before any other and has a dirt road from public highway to my porch, 36 years, then about 7 years ago the owner of the property moved a trailer halfway between my house and public highway and the only access I have to the mailbox (located at end of the road alongside the public highway) is the road which has two 2-3 ft deep mud holes which spread accross the entire dirt road. I have no car so I walk to mailbox and must walk along edge of mud holes which is 5 footsteps and I never walk kore than six inches along side in neighbors grass (which is land owners daughter, who is also my uncle and a baptist preacher) his daughter gets bored and drums up any drama and has called the polive for me tresspassing by simply taking five steps around mud holes which are over flowing with muddy water that stinks as it stands months after rain ends, I can only use common sense to deduce that they cannot force me to wade through misquito filled, snaky stinking mud and water (its surrounded by knee high weeds and is snaky I this small arkansas country) in use of my assumptions through common sense I figure the law would ask such as: ● is this the only alternative path? ● is the reason for cutting around the edge reasonable (and/or the only other option pose risk of injury or disease) ● since the same "man" owns the entire property and is landlord, is there an agreement that waives his responsibility to either fix the road to be safe passage or re-route a neutral path? If he wishes me to not touch the brown muddy grass alongside the sludge filled holes, he needs to comply with renters rights and either fix it or shut the hello up. While I see your point clearly the neighbor there is petty to even comment on your dogs paw touching the grass, if there is a reasonable path that is equally safe and nearly same distance, while he is a jerk to care, its likely best to avoid confrontation in being more mature and acknowlesging his dislike and trying to coaxh the dogs to walk around it (but the dog is an animal who can't be causing any damage to his grass) I don't think he/she could legally stop you if your not walking over 5-10 ft in "his" grass, and if your like me, respect works both ways and since he obviously has none for you, I'd honestly allow my dog to walj the grass path if he so chooses. Simply out of principle that the more control granted to these people becomes expectations and they don't recognize respect when you prevent doing it but aren't required to, it only makes them feel that much more powerful and while youbgive them an inch they take a mile to the point they eventually ask you to construct a new road altogether because they mistake kindness for weakness) as for my circumstance I've walked through the mud several times to show I will compromise but its only swelled their heads larger and they don't see it as a kind gesture rather a command your obeying, so never again will I give them the satisfaction as I've told the police chief , he will only arrest me after he has beat me because I will not go quietly over something so idiotic that they feel they can force me to swim from my home to the highway. Who knows, perhaps they can force me to, here in the state of Arkansas who knows the actual law? (Certainly not the police chief) and not the county judge who when a county road sign stands at the left of a county road and a yellow locked gate blocks access, when I asked him publicly on a web forum how can that be, his proud reply "just because a road has a county road sign doesn't make it a county road since in order to receive federal grant for 9-1-1 we had to have a certain number of county roads so we threw some signs up where we could" that to me seems like fraud and illegally obtaining federal funds. The gate is still locked and the sign still standing and no attorney with guts enough to make them accountable (as they would if someone were to receive food stamps based on application with a lie) but thats another forum...

quincy

jamieeimaj, this thread was created for you because you tacked your post onto a very old thread from the archives.

In re-reading your post now, though, it appears you have not asked a legal question but instead you are simply commenting on the sad state of affairs in Arkansas that leaves you with the choice of either trespassing on the neighbor's grass or walking on a dirt road filled with muddy, stinky holes in order to retrieve your mail from your mailbox.

If you have a legal question that we can assist in answering, or that I was unable to discern from your post, please add it to this thread or clarify your concern. Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">