• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Access to my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rachel Lewis

Tennessee

My next door neighbor has asked to use my driveway and the strip of property between our houses to have an outside storage building delivered. His property does not have easy access for a truck to bring the building in and my property does allow easier access. How can I hold him responsible for any injury or damage to my property. Is a verbal agreement binding or do I need a written agreement and if so, what should it say?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

JETX

How can I hold him responsible for any injury or damage to my property. Is a verbal agreement binding or do I need a written agreement and if so, what should it say?
You need a WRITTEN agreement. The agreement can simply state the condition of the property BEFORE his allowed access. Include that at a minimum, he would be responsible for:
- any and all COSTS incurred in repairing any damages that might occur due TO his allows access.
- Include that any repairs needed must be performed by PROFESSIONAL and reputable firms (this keep his 'Uncle Bob' from doing the repair).
- Include that any legal costs, attorney fees, court costs, etc. in the event that litigation is required, will be 'born by the prevailing party'.
Have him sign and date the document. Initial any pages if more than one.

Then, on the day BEFORE he accesses the property, take pictures (AND video if possible) of EVERYTHING that could be damaged, including the surface, plants, fences, etc., EVERYTHING.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">