• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbjh2o

What is the name of your state? Texas

For a period of 22 years, I have openly and adversely used (i.e. fenced, decked, maintained and used exclusively) a small piece of property adjacent to my residence. The property is owned by the original developer of my neighborhood. The development company is defunct and the owner is deceased. The taxes have not been paid for at least 21 years, but the property is not in foreclosure or judgment.

I would like to claim adverse possession but do not know what I need to file with courthouse. I am willing to pay back taxes if necessary, but that does not appear to be necessary based on the 10-year statute in Texas. What do I need to file and how do I get the taxing authority to recognize my claim and show me as the rightful owner?

Thank you for your advice.

S

seniorjudge

dbjh2o said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

For a period of 22 years, I have openly and adversely used (i.e. fenced, decked, maintained and used exclusively) a small piece of property adjacent to my residence. The property is owned by the original developer of my neighborhood. The development company is defunct and the owner is deceased. The taxes have not been paid for at least 21 years, but the property is not in foreclosure or judgment.

I would like to claim adverse possession but do not know what I need to file with courthouse. I am willing to pay back taxes if necessary, but that does not appear to be necessary based on the 10-year statute in Texas. What do I need to file and how do I get the taxing authority to recognize my claim and show me as the rightful owner?

Thank you for your advice.

Q: What do I need to file and how do I get the taxing authority to recognize my claim and show me as the rightful owner?

A: Hire a real estate attorney to determine whether you have a case and then file an adverse possession lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">