• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adverse possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omalley288

What is the name of your state? massachusetts

I have lived in my home for 13 years. The house was builit over 70 years ago. I put a fence up on the side of my property 7 years ago. I believed it was quite a bit in from the property line. My neighbors detached garage sits at the end of the driveway and my fence runs about 4 feet in from the front side of her garage. We have a piece of fencing from the end of the fence to the corner of her garage (fencing in my back yard). She wants me to remove this piece so she has access to the 5 x6 square on the side of her garage which is in my back yard. I was told that this was part of my property. She has had the property line surveyed and is correct -- her property line runs about 5 feet to the side of her garage that is in my backyard. She wants that piece and wants my fence moved and cleared so she can use this small piece of yard on the far side of her garage. I have been told that if I have used and maintained this piece for more than 20 years (myself and all the previous owners used this piece as part of my backyard since the home was built), it is now mine by adverse possession.Before I pay to move my fence and give up this piece of land, I want to be sure. since it has been used as part of this property since the home was built, is it now mine?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">