• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jfdb

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? New York.

I have lived on my property for 32 years. I have maintained what I considered to be my property for that entire time. I planted numerous trees, constructed 2 fences, 2 decks, mowed the lawn, planted shrubs, etc., etc. I never asked anyone's permission to do all this. No neighbor has ever said that I could not do these things, nor did they ever give permission. I openly did this without reservation. A number of people have owned the house next to me and have never complained or said a word about my maintaing the property. No one ever said that I was "over the property line" until the most recent occupant. He is now demanding that I pay for a survey to determine if my fence is on his property. I contend that because of all the improvements, maintenance, etc. coupled with the fact that I have done all this for over 30 years, that it is my property. Am I correct?

nanomug

If the new owner wants to know where the property line is, the new owner should pay for the survey. If the survey supports you, great, if not, you will propably want to get a new survey done to validate it or disproove it.

jnazareno

FYI ::::the best way to Steal Real Estate is by taking over property from unsuspecting owners - it's legal and it's been done for a long time..I even knew of a renter who's Owner died with no Heirs, they paid the property tax and all and after 5 yrs , they filed in court to owned the home (ya I told them to do it)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">