• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laura & fabian

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont
I bought my house in 1993. When I bought it, I was showed where the lines were. In the past five years I have been having a lot of problems with my neighbor. He never disputed I own this land and as a matter of fact he pretty much admitted it was mine in a court paper (he and my husband got in a fight and both were charged). Now he is trying to say it's his and he may be right. This piece of land is where my kids play and we park the cars. I have owned it since I have been here, about sixteen and a half years. The people we bought it from also used it and they owned this house about four years before me. Can I get this land through adverse possession? Another thing, I have a deeded right of way through the driveway which goes past his house. He comes almost up to my house and ruins the driveway by putting big ditches in it. Does he have the right to do this to a right of way?

Thanks,
Laura

justalayman

you can file a suit to quiet title if you want. Be prepared to spend a bunch of money.

has anybody had a survey done? If not, how does anybody know where the property line actually is?

as to the ditches in the drive: something like an inverse speed bump? What does your easement say. Is it an exclusive easement? Is there any maintenance requirements in grant? Doe he use the easement as well?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">