• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse Possession Case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jtruninger

What is the name of your state?jtWhat is the name of your state? MN

I purchased a single family home in 1987. :mad: The neighbors fence (located 12\' inside neighbor\'s lot) was already built and I openly maintained property up to fence line. Two years ago the neighbor\'s house was sold. Last year, new neighbor tore down old fence, but I continued to maintain property in open without issue. This year (April 26th), new neighbor decides to erect new fence on lot line. He has put in cement post footings. I would like to contest this fence and say property is mine through adverse possession. Do I have a case? Also, how quickly must I act to file lawsuit?

shortbus

If you were maintaining the strip of land with your former neighbor's permission (express or implied), you can't claim adverse possession.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">