• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adverse Possession law in CO

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shycowboydc

Colorado
What is Adverse Possession and how can it apply to my situation? I own a house in the town of Coal Creek, CO. I have owed it for 18 years. Recently I attempted to sell my house to my brother who has been approved for a loan to buy the property. However, the title company has an issue with the property lines as 3 lots that the house sits on is not owned by me. The house, as many in this town have been rebuilt after a fire from the late 1800's with no survery required at the time of rebuilding. The owner of the 3 lots that my house sits on is willing to sell said property to me, but for much more than what the property is worth. These lots are not big enough to build on due to my house encroaching on 3 of his 4 lots. The town does not want to take any responsiblity and/or have the town replotted to solve other property lines as well. Is there an attorney near me that could take this case to court for me? Please advise, any suggestions are appreciated.

HomeGuru

shycowboydc said:
Colorado
What is Adverse Possession and how can it apply to my situation? I own a house in the town of Coal Creek, CO. I have owed it for 18 years. Recently I attempted to sell my house to my brother who has been approved for a loan to buy the property. However, the title company has an issue with the property lines as 3 lots that the house sits on is not owned by me. The house, as many in this town have been rebuilt after a fire from the late 1800's with no survery required at the time of rebuilding. The owner of the 3 lots that my house sits on is willing to sell said property to me, but for much more than what the property is worth. These lots are not big enough to build on due to my house encroaching on 3 of his 4 lots. The town does not want to take any responsiblity and/or have the town replotted to solve other property lines as well. Is there an attorney near me that could take this case to court for me? Please advise, any suggestions are appreciated.
**A: your is not an AP case.

Daniel M.

shycowboydc said:
Colorado
You need a real estate attorney, preferably one with a specialty on land use. Have your brother help out with the cost.Maybe the neighbor's tune will change when he sees you mean business!

http://www.lawchek.net/resources/forms/que/advposs.htm

You can try the Colorado bar assoc for a reference or call some real estate offices, they might have some suggestions for an attorney they have used.

http://www.cobar.org/adrdirectory/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">