• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Advise on stubborn trespassing neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bigdogoil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Any ideas to help me stop a bullying neighbor from mowing, four wheeling, hunting, doing basically anything he wants on our property. He has been told verbally to stay off and that we don't allowing hunting. We have filed a complaint with the township and had a police officer come out for one specific incedent. That has made him do things now on the sly. Any suggestions???What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HuAi

Post no tresspassing signs, see if you can mount a cheap camera pointed at the boundary to catch him in the act, then call police and present them with video evidence.

bigdogoil

Thank you for your advice.

The property is posted with no trespassing signs. Unfortunately, the way the natural landscape lays and the length of the property (12 acres) I don't think a camera would be feesible, although I like the idea.

I guess one other question I had was, if he mows onto my property without my permission, can he take ownership of this piece? My parents have owned this property for 46 years and have always paid the taxes. The other neighbor mows part of the back for hay and this is where we are especially having problems with him. He made an offer to purchase, and again, when told no is when the problems started.

seniorjudge

Q: I guess one other question I had was, if he mows onto my property without my permission, can he take ownership of this piece?

A: Hire a lawyer; have the lawyer write him a letter stating that he has been trespassing. That will stop any adverse possession claims.

FarmerJ

If your county zoning dept allows it Barbed wire fencing is cheap and will get the point across. Your county zoning desk can also tell you what if any setback requirements there are for fencing. 12 acres shouldnt be too much of a problem even if you only had to fence in 2 sides of it .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">