• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ahhhh! Bamboo!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jakemembers

What is the name of your state? California

We have some bamboo coming into our yard from what we thought was the neighbor's yard. We've since found out that our fence may in fact be about 2 feet from the actual property line placing the stand of bamboo predominantly in our yard. However it's essentially in the corner of all four properties that meet in the corner. From what the previous owner told us, it's probable that the owner prior to them planted the bamboo. Regardless, we've been told that it's easier to kill the person who planted the bamboo than the bamboo itself, but we don't feel it's practical and wouldn't change the fact that two of the other neighbors want to do something about the bamboo. We do as well, but maybe not as soon as the other neighbors. Anyway, if no one admits to planting it and it's on all 4 properties and some of the neighbors want to deal with it and some don't what are the rules?

rmet4nzkx

You pretty much have to dig up the bamboo roots and all and install a barrier about 2 feet deep to keep it from coming up again. You might contact your local chapter of the native plant society for suggestions on irradacation and if any local ordinances apply. You might also try to find someone who wants the cut canes. Once the cannot root they can be useful in the garden for fencing, arbors, shade and stakes.

ralph31

bamboo ugh

I've made lots of posts about a bamboo problem with a neighbor who planted it onto my property where I have a fence placed 1'4" within my property.
This neighbor acknowledges his planting of the bamboo which spread all over my rear and side yard to a sometimes height of fourteen feet. He has promised in writing to install barriers, etc. I have many photographs of this
ongoing fuss.

I was concerned with the spread of bamboo and his claim at adverse possession, but not enough to go into a court fight. . . at this time.

I created a gate within my fence to gain access to the area of planting without going onto his property. As I cut each stalk in the 50' X 1.4' area to a height of a few insches, I poured Round Up into the top of the remaining stalk. I did like wise into my yard area where the bamboo had spread. The cut off stalks in the area he views are just plain old brown after a year. In my yard area within my fence, I quickly cut and Round Up treat any viewable stalks which seems to have stopped the spread of bamboo to my yard, and I am winning the battle on eradicating it within my fenced area.

We have had lawyers on the matter, but I could never depend on the word of the neighbor, or the ability of his lawyer to get his client to back up the attorney's offers. Further, I advised this neighbor that I would sue him for ongoing damages were he to further pursue adverse possession, which I must definitely would do.

So for now, let him look at the rotting four inch stalks and the no trespass notices I have spread along his side of my fence, both painted on the fence board and free standing. I have broken off part of a fence he extended over my 1'4" strip of land. I have even spelled out the TN code on the "No Trespass" signs.

The adverse possession issues and other issues in this matter are too numerous to delve further into. Short of a fist fight, new surveys, although the present surveys validate my statements, of ownershop or a court battle is where the matter now stands aftet four years of threats.

ralph31

Gosh, moving a fence will kill bamboo

Wow, that's a novel way of ridding oneself of bamboo, just spend possibly two thousand dollars to build a new fence as some fences are not that easy to move.

HomeGuru

ralph31 said:
Wow, that's a novel way of ridding oneself of bamboo, just spend possibly two thousand dollars to build a new fence as some fences are not that easy to move.
**A: make a new bamboo fence then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">