• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Annoying Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AngelsAdvocate

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Upstate New York

During the summer of 2013, my mother and I hired some roofers to renovate our old roof. This took place around the end of June and perhaps into early July. To me, they did a fine job and were also contracted and paid to take care of clean-up. 2 to 3 months later, one of my next door neighbors came to my house ringing the doorbell. He asked if I had home owner’s insurance and said that the people who did my roof didn't do a good job. He had some flat tires in his pick-up truck and was blaming us that it was due to our roofers. He stated that the tires costs “thousands/hundreds” of dollars and he didn’t know ‘how I was going to help him’. After which, he said as he left that he didn't like how my family never ‘talks’ to him.

My mother and I have lived in the house for around 20 years and this guy just moved in for about 2 years. The reason that we had to renovate the roof and house was because we were getting it ready to be sold since my late father’s death from cancer. We have moved to another state and in a new house since the end of last year. Around the beginning of this year, our realtor called us to tell us that the same neighbor threatened to place a lien on us so that we could not close on the house if it gets sold. We ignored this as being ridiculous. We advised our realtor not to speak to that neighbor. Unfortunately, just a few months ago, she brought up this neighbor again. The realtor was looking for people to help clean our basement and garage of its junk. The realtor said that the same neighbor was offering to clean out everything provided that he gets to keep some of the stuff he finds. He also said that he would “forget” about the ordeal with the tires (this is nearly 1 year after he brought it up).

I am a full-time college student so I don’t have much time to deal with this. My mother does not speak English. Due to these facts, I believe this man erroneously believes that he can say whatever he wants. That and it seems something may be wrong with him mentally. In fact, just about a week after he brought up his tires, he casually greeted me as if nothing happened while I unpacked my groceries. At one point, I also overheard him talking to our other neighbor about the tires costing him “fifty bucks” instead of the “hundreds” he told us.

My rationale is that IF, IF he really believed we were responsible for the tires, he would have done something about it 1 year ago at that time. The way I see it, he is just an old man (50s/60s) looking for attention. He has also done some other shady things. For example, when we were still living in that house, he canceled his garbage pick-up and proceeded to sneak his garbage into our own trash container for pick-up. I even found a whole back of Christmas wrapping paper next to the trash container one morning.

My mother and I are returning home soon to check on the house and I was wondering what things I can do if this annoying neighbor brings this subject up again. I am tempted to call the police if he keeps “harassing” us about this.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Upstate New York

During the summer of 2013, my mother and I hired some roofers to renovate our old roof. This took place around the end of June and perhaps into early July. To me, they did a fine job and were also contracted and paid to take care of clean-up. 2 to 3 months later, one of my next door neighbors came to my house ringing the doorbell. He asked if I had home owner’s insurance and said that the people who did my roof didn't do a good job. He had some flat tires in his pick-up truck and was blaming us that it was due to our roofers. He stated that the tires costs “thousands/hundreds” of dollars and he didn’t know ‘how I was going to help him’. After which, he said as he left that he didn't like how my family never ‘talks’ to him.

My mother and I have lived in the house for around 20 years and this guy just moved in for about 2 years. The reason that we had to renovate the roof and house was because we were getting it ready to be sold since my late father’s death from cancer. We have moved to another state and in a new house since the end of last year. Around the beginning of this year, our realtor called us to tell us that the same neighbor threatened to place a lien on us so that we could not close on the house if it gets sold. We ignored this as being ridiculous. We advised our realtor not to speak to that neighbor. Unfortunately, just a few months ago, she brought up this neighbor again. The realtor was looking for people to help clean our basement and garage of its junk. The realtor said that the same neighbor was offering to clean out everything provided that he gets to keep some of the stuff he finds. He also said that he would “forget” about the ordeal with the tires (this is nearly 1 year after he brought it up).

I am a full-time college student so I don’t have much time to deal with this. My mother does not speak English. Due to these facts, I believe this man erroneously believes that he can say whatever he wants. That and it seems something may be wrong with him mentally. In fact, just about a week after he brought up his tires, he casually greeted me as if nothing happened while I unpacked my groceries. At one point, I also overheard him talking to our other neighbor about the tires costing him “fifty bucks” instead of the “hundreds” he told us.

My rationale is that IF, IF he really believed we were responsible for the tires, he would have done something about it 1 year ago at that time. The way I see it, he is just an old man (50s/60s) looking for attention. He has also done some other shady things. For example, when we were still living in that house, he canceled his garbage pick-up and proceeded to sneak his garbage into our own trash container for pick-up. I even found a whole back of Christmas wrapping paper next to the trash container one morning.

My mother and I are returning home soon to check on the house and I was wondering what things I can do if this annoying neighbor brings this subject up again. I am tempted to call the police if he keeps “harassing” us about this.
With luck your house will sell quickly and you will not have to worry about the neighbor any more. If the realtor you have hired to market the house has problems with the neighbor interfering with any house showings or the sale of the home, she can contact the police for assistance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">