• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another Fence Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troubledinWA

What is the name of your state? WA
Fence dilemma,Our neighbor has a fence that is falling down, tried to get us to pay for it - which he pd for it to be erected 25 yrs ago,He even took us to court and judge told him to fix it. His fix was 2 metal brackets that go around the posts (which are falling apart - poor quality wood and not treated) and have been screwed into his woodshed on the top of the post, which he says is now being pushed over because we have some wood that is bracing the bottom of the fence, so that it doesn't flip upward and ruin our shed and property or injure us or our dog.
He is saying that if we don't move our wood - which he says is pushing his fence, that he will tear down the fence and is not planning on putting another one up.
I was thinking of going through mediation, instead of the courts, but am not sure of where to look.
We are thinking of getting the lines re-surveyed, just to make sure everything is still legal.
What I need to know:
1. What do they have to do before they tear down the fence?
2. What are our legal rights and obligations
3. If we put up a fence, what is the distance that we have to put up the fence from the property line?
4. How can we get this taken care of legally and try to stop any further discord between us and them?
Thank you for any help and suggestions you can give me
troubledinWA

S

seniorjudge

troubledinWA said:
What is the name of your state? WA
Fence dilemma,Our neighbor has a fence that is falling down, tried to get us to pay for it - which he pd for it to be erected 25 yrs ago,He even took us to court and judge told him to fix it. His fix was 2 metal brackets that go around the posts (which are falling apart - poor quality wood and not treated) and have been screwed into his woodshed on the top of the post, which he says is now being pushed over because we have some wood that is bracing the bottom of the fence, so that it doesn't flip upward and ruin our shed and property or injure us or our dog.
He is saying that if we don't move our wood - which he says is pushing his fence, that he will tear down the fence and is not planning on putting another one up.
I was thinking of going through mediation, instead of the courts, but am not sure of where to look.
We are thinking of getting the lines re-surveyed, just to make sure everything is still legal.
What I need to know:
1. What do they have to do before they tear down the fence?
2. What are our legal rights and obligations
3. If we put up a fence, what is the distance that we have to put up the fence from the property line?
4. How can we get this taken care of legally and try to stop any further discord between us and them?
Thank you for any help and suggestions you can give me
troubledinWA

Get a survey; put up a fence you like on your side of the line and don't touch his fence.

troubledinWA

seniorjudge said:
Get a survey; put up a fence you like on your side of the line and don't touch his fence.
State where reside: WA
Thank you, however, are our neighbors obligated legally to inform us when the fence will be coming down and when we put a fence up, what does the law specify for the distance from the property line that we have to put up the fence? Also, are we able to charge them for half the fence?

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

troubledinWA said:
State where reside: WA
Thank you, however, are our neighbors obligated legally to inform us when the fence will be coming down and when we put a fence up, what does the law specify for the distance from the property line that we have to put up the fence? Also, are we able to charge them for half the fence?
Go to Farm Bureau; they have great info on fences.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">