• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bank owned neighbor blight and danger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donedeal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

The property next time mine is a
Bank owned foreclosed property. There are dilapidated conditions including a raised porch that is falling down and a shed that is caving in. There is broken glass around the front of the house , chipped paint and a big dead tree that looms over my house. I've contacted them numerous times regarding the dangerous conditions and to have the tree evaluated. I contacted the town and they cited the bank for blight. This has been ongoing for 4 months, they no longer rely to my email requests for updates. The town states they are fining them. But still nothing is happening. What are my next steps? Are they under any legal obligation to have the tree evaluated and clean up the propert of dangerous conditions ?

justalayman

They are under the same obligations as any other property owner. I would start my with sending a registered letter to the registered agent for the bank. In it define the tree issue making sure to let them know it appears to be an existing danger to your property.

As to the rest; contact your municipal officers and register complaints with whatever office deals with such housing issues.

STEPHAN

I deal a lot with these properties.

Banks are extremely slow and usually don't care to much about city fines. Also, if these were existing conditions before the bank took over, special rules may apply.

The best that can happen to you is that the banks sells the property and the new owner fixes everything and negotiates with the city.

What bank is it?

FlyingRon

I've also found that banks are really slow to record deeds when they foreclose or take property in lieu of. A lot of times the owner of record is still the prior owner. Allows them to dodge issues like this.

OHRoadwarrior

Request the city address the tree if it is in an easement area and lien the property. Otherwise, investigate the ability of you to do the same.

FarmerJ

A friend of mine she and her now departed husband had a home in a town near me that they should have never been given a mortgage on by a well known lender that ended up having many many many mortgages blow up , But anyway L & E had chosen to move out of the home and let it go but the lender did not take any action against them for almost 2 years so while E could still walk well enough to push a mower he kept the grass up since the warning letter they got was still in their name and he didn't want to get a ticket from that town since they literally were still living there just in a rental nearby. SO at best you can keep in close contact with your city inspections desk. AS to the tree with summer storm season maybe you will get lucky and the tree will be blown onto the home that is falling apart and then your city might order a tear down.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

The property next time mine is a
Bank owned foreclosed property. There are dilapidated conditions including a raised porch that is falling down and a shed that is caving in. There is broken glass around the front of the house , chipped paint and a big dead tree that looms over my house. I've contacted them numerous times regarding the dangerous conditions and to have the tree evaluated. I contacted the town and they cited the bank for blight. This has been ongoing for 4 months, they no longer rely to my email requests for updates. The town states they are fining them. But still nothing is happening. What are my next steps? Are they under any legal obligation to have the tree evaluated and clean up the propert of dangerous conditions ?
One suggestion not yet mentioned is to contact your local media.

Many television stations have "call for action" teams that help area residents resolve their problems with the city or with entities when the residents have been unable after several attempts to get satisfactory responses to their complaints through regular channels.

This has worked for many Detroit homeowners who have lived next door to dilapidated, dangerous, abandoned houses or next door to lots that became dumping grounds for junk.

If your city cannot get the owner of the property to act to repair the property, cut down the tree and clean up the lot by issuing fines, news coverage of the problem with a public focus on the company/bank/owner that has created the problem, often can spur the owner to action. Public pressure can be powerful tool.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">