• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Basketball hoop on public street in cul-de-sac

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alice278

Washington State:

We live on a cul-de-sac (NOT a gated community), a neighbor placed a portable basketball hoop on the street in front of a public walk-way and then proceeded to ask all children (especially) teens to NOT play on "his" basketball hoop unless he grants them permission.

If the hoop is on public property, not even in front of his house... is it open for all to play on it? He was asked to move it into his driveway, he declined as it is too hard to move around and wants it on the street.

justalayman

No, you don't get to use the hoop simply because it is on public property. Using that justification, I guess I would never have to buy a car as there are millions of them parked on public property at any given time. I could just hop in and drive it away, right?

call the police and report an obstruction on the roadway. You have no right to touch the hoop and if you do and it gets damaged, you are liable for the damages (same thing if you use it and it is damaged).

csi7

I agree with calling about the obstruction in the roadway. A neighbor kept pushing his portable hoop further out in the road every time he mowed his yard, and when a child was almost hit by a huge trash truck going around the hoop, it was moved.

This happened several times, then the homeowner of the rented property was contacted by code enforcement and the hoop is gone.

HomeGuru

Washington State:

We live on a cul-de-sac (NOT a gated community), a neighbor placed a portable basketball hoop on the street in front of a public walk-way and then proceeded to ask all children (especially) teens to NOT play on "his" basketball hoop unless he grants them permission.

If the hoop is on public property, not even in front of his house... is it open for all to play on it? He was asked to move it into his driveway, he declined as it is too hard to move around and wants it on the street.
**A: call someone with a truck to haul it away in the middle of the night.

NC Aggie

As other poster have indicated, you or your neighbors don't have the right to use his goal but he doesn't have the right to place the goal in the right of way either. Many towns/cities have ordinances against such practices and you can contact your city/town to report it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">