+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    JerrySF is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3

    Basketball Hoop In Street

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Oregon

    A neighbor has placed a portable basketball hoop in front of my home at the end of a dead-end street. The neighbors live on a nearby cross street, so this hoop is not close to being in front of their home.

    I do NOT want this hoop there. It pollutes the view out my picture window. I don't want their young children playing in the street in front of my home, leaving their junk behind and being endangered by delivery trucks that often come to my home.

    I told them I am not comfortable with the hoop there and that I want it moved. Initially, they said they would, but it's still there, and becoming quite obvious they have no intention of moving it.

    I have talked to the police, even the chief of police, who said he would speak with them, but the hoop is still there.

    What are my other options? Is this not "abandoned property"? Would I breaking a law or violating the neighbor's rights in some way if I destroyed the hoop or had someone haul it off? Since when can you leave your personal property on public property away from your home and have any claim to it?

    Also, since it's in the road, it's possible it could be hit by a vehicle. If someone should damage their vehicle by hitting it, wouldn't the neighbors be liable for blocking the right of way?
  2. #2
    NC Aggie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySF View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? - Oregon

    A neighbor has placed a portable basketball hoop in front of my home at the end of a dead-end street. The neighbors live on a nearby cross street, so this hoop is not close to being in front of their home.

    I do NOT want this hoop there. It pollutes the view out my picture window. I don't want their young children playing in the street in front of my home, leaving their junk behind and being endangered by delivery trucks that often come to my home.

    I told them I am not comfortable with the hoop there and that I want it moved. Initially, they said they would, but it's still there, and becoming quite obvious they have no intention of moving it.

    I have talked to the police, even the chief of police, who said he would speak with them, but the hoop is still there.

    What are my other options? Is this not "abandoned property"? Would I breaking a law or violating the neighbor's rights in some way if I destroyed the hoop or had someone haul it off? Since when can you leave your personal property on public property away from your home and have any claim to it?

    Also, since it's in the road, it's possible it could be hit by a vehicle. If someone should damage their vehicle by hitting it, wouldn't the neighbors be liable for blocking the right of way?
    If you're in an incorporated city/town that maintains the roadway, you could contact them since the goal is in the right of way. In the municipality where I reside, we have ordinances that prohibit things like bsketball goals from being placed in the roadway.
  3. #3
    JerrySF is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    I am in the city limits. There are no specific laws against a basketball hoop on the street; however, the police said you would have to get permission to place a hoop in front of someone else's home.

    So, my question remains, if the police don't do anything, would I be in legal jeopardy if I get rid of the hoop myself?
  4. #4
    aldaron is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    328
    OP if you just get rid of it on your own you'll be making enemies out of all those kids then you'll be a target of their boredom. Some thing to think about. Is there an alternative place to place it? Any vacant lots etc.?
  5. #5
    JerrySF is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by aldaron View Post
    OP if you just get rid of it on your own you'll be making enemies out of all those kids then you'll be a target of their boredom. Some thing to think about. Is there an alternative place to place it? Any vacant lots etc.?
    I have nothing against the kids, but I'm not going to cower over fear of what some 5-year-olds will think of me. Their arrogant parents are infamous for doing whatever they please in the neighborhood. They allow their dog to roam free in violation of the leash laws. They leave their RV trailer parked on the street in violation of the law. Rolling the basketball hoop down the street to set it up in front of my house is the final straw. That's it. Period. Is there an alternative place? Sure! In front of THEIR house or in THEIR driveway!

    I appreciate the feedback, but my questions remain.
  6. #6
    NC Aggie is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrySF View Post
    I am in the city limits. There are no specific laws against a basketball hoop on the street; however, the police said you would have to get permission to place a hoop in front of someone else's home.

    So, my question remains, if the police don't do anything, would I be in legal jeopardy if I get rid of the hoop myself?
    No offense to our fine law enforcement officers, but getting permission to place a hoop in the roadway or within right of way wouldn't come from the residents, it would come from whomever owns/maintains roadway (municipality, county or state). Even though there may not be any specific laws/ordinances on the books, I would still consider contacting City's street or engineering department.
  7. #7
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    With Capt'n Hook
    Posts
    11,317
    Why not just move the thing into the middle of their driveway? Or park your car like right on top of it so it can't be used.

    Be creative.
  8. #8
    justalayman is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the ether
    Posts
    33,864
    If you do anything with another's property, you would be risking being charged with some crime. Given the description of the parents, I would suggest not touching the hoop.

    If it blocks your use of the road, call the police and report that fact. It would be up to the police to enforce the illegal use of the road. If they refuse, about the only action you have available, that would not risk breaking the law would be, if possible, parking your car in a place that it would prevent the use of the hoop or to sue the parents seeking an injunction from the courts demanding the hoop be removed.

    Parking your car in a place to prevent the use could result in damages to your car. Whether those damages could be claimed from the kids or their parents would be arguable since you would have parked your car in a place you were fully aware it may be exposed to damage. Often times, you cannot act in a manner you know is likely to cause you loss and then later make a claim for those losses, even if it was the other parties actions that caused the damages.
  9. #9
    LdiJ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    65,093
    There is another option that might work. A neighbor of mine did this. If the hoop and net can be removed from the pole without damaging it, you could remove it so that it cannot be used. Then when the parents demand it back, tell them you are happy to return it once they remove the pole from in front of your house.

Similar Threads

  1. Basketball hoop on public street in cul-de-sac
    By alice278 in forum Neighbors & Boundaries
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-21-2011, 03:51 PM
  2. Neighbor's basketball hoop fell on my truck.
    By woodman2963 in forum Homeowners Insurance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-17-2008, 05:50 PM
  3. Hit a basketball hoop hanging 3 feet over roadway. Who is at fault?
    By Jeffsji in forum Auto Accidents and Vehicle Claims
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 08:21 AM
  4. Portable Basketball hoop in street
    By jhissong in forum Condos and Co-Ops
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-06-2005, 11:27 AM
  5. Landlord liability for basketball hoop?
    By courtneygregor in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2001, 06:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.