• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Best Way To Legally Keep Kids Off Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I live in a rented home and apparently all the snow and evergreen bushes are a choice winter wonderland for the neighbors kiddies who run around all over the place screaming all damn day long. Sounding off the car alarm doesn't seem to work. In the summer I had the idea to set off sprinklers but in the winter my hands are tied. Should I approach my landlord and scare him with legal concerns of kids on his property or send a letter saying I don't want to be legally liable for kids getting hurt in my yard? What are my legal risks with these brats? I hate that one way or another I'm going to have to look like some mean guy but I have no kids and I see no reason why I have to hear this noise especially on the weekends.

FarmerJ

You may call them brats BUT if where you live was not very safe then even in winter they would not be out and playing. AS long as local noise ords are not being violated not much you can do until lease is up when you move to the 40/ 80 /100 acres you buy so you can have a major amount of space between you and nieghbors. If the children come onto the lot of your rental speak to the parents backed up with a letter sent asking them to direct their children to please not play in your yard ( I say your yard loosely since you rent it )

Alex23

Get a super soaker and fill it with warm water and yellow food dye. Squirt it all over the snow. It won't be a winter wonderland anymore, but it should be less appealing for the local brats.

MoneyShot

Get a super soaker and fill it with warm water and yellow food dye. Squirt it all over the snow. It won't be a winter wonderland anymore, but it should be less appealing for the local brats.
Better yet, start drinking lots of beer and do the job yourself. Word will soon get around and parents will go to great lengths to keep their children away from you. Plus, if you do this mid-day, you may even make some new friends from the local constables. Let us know how this all works out.

Every where a question like this is asked I see mostly joke answers. I find it odd that kids can get away with violating your rights. I should have a right to not have people in my yard that I did not invite there. So some guy could just sit on my porch, light up a cig, and there's nothing I could do about it? If I was to forcefully remove him myself I suppose I'd be the one going to jail? In the summer if the kids decide to say trample on flowers, and rip out grass and shrubs then there's probably nothing I can do about that either,huh? Maybe I should go over to the kids house and run around their house screaming, jumping in snow banks, and messing their driveway up after they shoveled it.

The fake urine idea seems like my best non-confrontational option. Maybe I'll even add a few soggy chocolate bars for added effect. Although who knows. They have no problem with sitting at the end of my driveway and eating snow from the snow bank.

cyjeff

Every where a question like this is asked I see mostly joke answers. I find it odd that kids can get away with violating your rights. I should have a right to not have people in my yard that I did not invite there. So some guy could just sit on my porch, light up a cig, and there's nothing I could do about it? If I was to forcefully remove him myself I suppose I'd be the one going to jail? In the summer if the kids decide to say trample on flowers, and rip out grass and shrubs then there's probably nothing I can do about that either,huh? Maybe I should go over to the kids house and run around their house screaming, jumping in snow banks, and messing their driveway up after they shoveled it.

The fake urine idea seems like my best non-confrontational option. Maybe I'll even add a few soggy chocolate bars for added effect. Although who knows. They have no problem with sitting at the end of my driveway and eating snow from the snow bank.
Have you put up a no trespassing sign? Have you talked to the parents?

If yes to both, call the police everytime they show up.

FarmerJ

Mike even though it is a rental you do have the right to determine who can and cannot be in your yard and when and able to call police when there is a tresspass. BUT as to noise , kid noise, lawn mower noises , snow blower noises , snow mobile, 4 wheeler, ETC all happen, The only thing that matters is if any of the noises violate local ords! if they do not then there really is nothing you can do to limit the noises unless you move to a larger property where you will not have homes wall to wall like how they are in so many areas. AS far as children eating snow at your driveway area , well consider speaking to the parents if for only one reason , if you or your city have used salts /chemicals to assist breaking down ice on your driveway or your city street the childrens parents might want to stop them so they do not ingest those chems. BTW being on a larger property is not a bad option either . My previous property in Mpls was a 68 x 120 deep city lot where noises from one persons home could easily travel half a block down, where as now I have.

cyjeff

I would also check local ordinances....

Where I live, the first 10 feet from the curb belongs to the state.

swrdmbo

Please do not call the police over something so unimportant. There are people that need them a lot worse than you do.

While I think your post is somewhat amusing ( I know you didn't mean it as such) I do find myself coming up with several smart as^ comments but I will refrain.

Try talking to the parents. Most people do not want their children around someone they KNOW does not want them around. If the children are playing in common areas there is not much you can do about it.

If the parent's don't keep the kids out try the no trespassing signs...you will likely be the ogre of the neighborhood but I have a feeling that that will not be a problem for you.

If all else fails, try the yellow snow..but trust me ..the chocolate bars are a bad choice...the PERFECT candy bar for your project is a BABY RUTH BAR!!

Good luck!

I haven't done anything about this yet nor do I have any no trespassing signs. I'm just contemplating the best move here without starting a war with the neighbors as I've moved many times before due to neighbor issues. And if it came to that I wanted to see what laws are on my side. There are a lot of smart asses out there and they often push me to the point where I'm surprised they don't call the police one me. I always lived in apartments and had issue with tenants excessive noises. Now that I live in a house alone the noise wasn't an issue until now. I pretty much ignored the kids when it was just playing in the snow banks for a limited amount of time but when they started exploring my entire yard, running along the side of my house screaming and around my car I had enough. I don't have any kids and don't want any around. I'd think the fact that I keep to myself, rarely have any visitors, and go out mostly at night would make me weird enough that nobody would want their kids around my place but that's no match for lazy parents I guess. The main problems are the weekends. I guess school tires them out or something. This weekend I'm going to try the yellow snow if I can do it without anyone seeing me. I'm not sure if I'm going to go to the store just to get yellow dye so....:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">