• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big Mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I am not sure if I am posting this in the right forum, if not, I am sure that several people will let me know.

I am currently contracting to purchase the house across the street from my parents. However, this has become a huge mess that is driving me insane. The guy who is selling the house is not the problem, the guy who used to live in it has become a huge thorn in the side to me and the guy who I am buying it from.

The guy who used to live in the house was an old friend of the current owner's family. The house was purchased by him on a rent to own basis. To save you guys a lot of time in my explanation, they gave the guy 27 years to pay off the balance of the house and he only made a few payments during that time. Simply put, he was given the boot in November. He did not get his stuff out of the house by the time specified, and still has a lot of stuff in there. By a lot, I mean he was an antique hoarder that filled a six bedroom 2 1/2 bath house, from floor to ceiling with junk.

Because he did not get his things out in time, I was authorized by the owner to enter the house to survey and see if I even wanted to deal with the mess of stuff that was left, and do the necessary repairs. I was told to put a new lock on the door (the guy secured the house with padlocks, not door locks). At this point the guy who owned the stuff in the house became irritated. No one knew he was interested in obtaining the items in the house, since he had not been around since November.

The owner of the house told him that I had the key to the lock and he would be generous and give him until the end of January to get his things out. I agreed that I would open the door for him when he came up, and any damage that he did to the structure would be noted. The one day that he chose in January to come and actually get anything was the one day that I was not in town. After this he decided that he was going to call the owner of the house and make false accusations about us entering the property and taking things. Quite frankly, if you have ever seen the show hoarders, you would know that any and everything he got out of the house would be a relief to me. After all, he literally has bottles of pee in the house since he scrapped all of the plumbing, wiring, and even the toilets to fuel his drug habit.

We noticed that someone had to be entering and leaving the property since there were footprints in the snow leading to and from an unoccupied house and we began to keep an eye out. After all, the rules set forth by the owner of the house stated that no one was allowed on the property unless arrangements were made with him, by phone in advance. (Makes sense to normal people, right?) Apparently this does not make sense to the guy who wants the stuff inside because his friends who live on the other side of the house in question, are crawling in and out of the window in the back of the house and pulling out anything that will fit.

This has escalated to them knocking on my door at random hours demanding the key to the lock, the police have visited at least 3 times, and someone showed up today with a U-Haul. Under normal circumstances, I would simply mail the stupid key to the owner of the house just to be rid of it. Quite frankly, I am regretting investigating the house for purchase purposes. I do still want to buy the house, but I also want to ship my neighbors to Siberia right now too. Unfortunately, the owner of the house is supposed to be here two days from now to take care of a few legalities with the house and to fill out the paperwork for me purchasing the house. He is also supposed to allow this wack job to get some of his things out.

Now the guy who stuffed everything in the house is calling me and leaving nasty messages, threatening people, and flipping out randomly at weird hours because he wants in right now, doesn't want to wait, and said he is willing to break the windows out. All I can get from the police is that this is a property dispute. I feel as though I am being harassed and stuck in the middle of a dispute I have nothing to do with. Like I said, when I buy the house, the less crap he leaves, the better off I am.

Will Not Work

Quite frankly, walking away will not work. Mind you, I live right across the street from this house. Even if I walk away, I have to deal with these people for who knows how long. So far, I have dealt with them for the last seven years. Everyone else in the neighborhood is sick of them too. Unfortunately, you can't run psych exams your neighbors before you move into a house. A privacy fence would keep the neighbors at bay, at least physically. However, the house I have now is not owned by me and I cannot make any major structural changes.

154NH773

You really have no rights in regard to the house. I would be very careful about any dealings with the owner, or the former occupant. You might be held liable for any damage to the contents, or even be accused of stealing.
I would give back any keys you might possess, and tell the owner you will consider buying the house once it is empty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">