• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blocking of Driveway Easement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terryt

What is the name of your state? New York

I own a property in New York State which has a "shared driveway". The driveway is a deep and wide driveway - it is approximately 3 vehicles wide, and approximately 100 feet deep. The deed to my property contains an easment to not only use the driveway for ingress & egress, but also states that I have full use of the driveway for parking. (The deed and it's easement are recorded at the county clerks office.) The woman who owns the property with whom I share the driveway, continually parks 2 or 3 vehicles across the driveway entrance, essentially forming a blockade and preventing my ingress/egress to the driveway and any subsequent parking. I have tried talking to the property owner about leaving a "lane" open for me to drive in on, but she refuses to cooperate. My property line technically extends only about 2-3 feet into the shared driveway, which I think is why she continues to give me a hard time. My property is zoned commercial, which makes ingress/egress & parking tremendously important to me. What remedies should I seek - talking has not worked. I am convinced that I need to take some sort of legal action to get her to respect my rights, though I hate to spend too much money on this. And lastly, the other property owner seems like the type of person who will not cooperate unless she feels she has something to lose - what can I do to present/create some real consequences to her continued disregard of my rights (i.e. costing her some money, having vehicles towed, etc.) Thank-you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">