• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Borough code office approved my request, now I'm told it's wrong!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PhilaMs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
Last summer I had my property surveyed in anticipation of installing a 1 car garage. Pins were placed.

- I stopped into the borough code office in Sept to ask about putting a 1 car prefab garage (12' x 20') in the spot where there used to be a 2 car garage (prior to my owning the house). There was an existing cement pad where the former garage stood.
- The girl checked with someone behind the window and said yes, that will be no problem as there was a pre-existing structure. She gave me a permit, told me to fill it out, and mail with a check and drawing which showed where it will sit on the property and how far from the house.
- I drew up a plan clearly stating it would be 1 ft from side property and 3 ft from the back property. I showed existing pad and how the new pad would be smaller (right side moved in). I dropped off the paperwork, with my check.
- A week or so later, I received a red permit for the building. There was no statement about the placement of it, nor was any additional paperwork included with the red permit.
- I was worried about the placement, just in case I called the code office just to make sure and to see if anything else needed to be done before I moved forward. She told me the structure was approved but had to be anchored to the ground.
- I had the old broken cement slab torn up and stones put in for the new structure.
- The building was delivered, placed and anchored where it was specified in my drawing.

In the meantime I spoke with my neighbor because he had trees overgrowing into the spot. He agreed to cut them back. I explained I was getting a garage - he stated he had concerns about water drainage and asked me if I would put in gutters. I said I was thinking about it. I told him I had permission (the permit) and was going to proceed to put it in the existing location. All seemed okay.

The other day, we came home to a notice that said it had to be 5 ft from the side property line. I immediately called to remind them I had approval and received the permit -- which was in response to my application and drawing which clearly stated placement of the building (1 ft from side property line). He said I should have received paperwork back with the permit which stated the 5ft code. I did not receive the paperwork.

Today I visited with the building inspector. He explained there was a complaint, which prompted his follow up. He checked my file, visited the site and found it was not compliant. He outlined my options:
- talk w/ my neighbor and see if we can work out an agreement
- submit $300 + $400 escrow for a code variance; the code will be posted and everyone will have a chance to speak / dispute the appeal at the hearing. I may or may not get the variance
- move it so it's 5 ft in (which would not align with the driveway and look crummy)
- put up a fence and move it so it's 3 ft in (the fence can be on the property line)

I followed the process, they made a paperwork mistake and I'm stuck holding the bill. Do I have any legal recourse?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

154NH773

I followed the process, they made a paperwork mistake and I'm stuck holding the bill. Do I have any legal recourse?
You might; however, it may be a complicated and lengthy process. I would advise getting a good lawyer to estimate your chances and cost of litigating, and then decide if it is worth it.
There are many things that will come into play in such a litigation, and we really don't have enough information to adequately advise you. For instance; where was the original building located in relation to the lot line? What is the required setback? Who approved the original building permit, and did they follow the ordinance? Can they document the fact that they sent you a notice of the 5' code, and did you read the notice?

In general, you may improve a non-conforming structure in the location it exists, but if you totally replace such a structure, you must meet all building codes with the new structure, including setbacks. In your case it appears that you bought the property with no garage in place, only a slab. That could be a problem.
If you relied on a valid permit, and expended a considerable sum, the caselaw becomes more controlling, and you may, or may not, have a claim to leave the building. Get a lawyer.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like your neighbor may just drop his complaint as long as you agree to the gutters that he asked for in the first place. Is there a reason you can't put them in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">