• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boundary issue, neighbors intentionally occupying a portion of my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

squib

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I recently purchased a house that was bank owned, the previous owners now live in a home next door. Problem is they have placed large pieces of their personal belongings either fully on my property or straddling the two properties. I'm talking large stuff like a full conex box and full storage shed. They are refusing to move the items and they're too large for me to move on my own.

I'm now in the process of trying to erect a fence but these items are in the way and the neighbor really seems to take pleasure in that fact that I'm unable to complete the task.

Thank you

squib

have you contacted the police? Sure seems like trespassing to me.
No I haven't contact the Police, yet.

Maybe I'll call them and ask if they'll actually do something. I don't want them to come unless they're going to force the issue. If they don't get involved their presence will likely worsen the relationship between me and the neighbor.

justalayman

do you have proof of your lot lines, such as a recent survey? If not and the neighbor disputes the line you claim, you might get told, by the police, they cannot do anything because they cannot determine if the law if being broken or not. Then they would tell you to take the neighbors to court in a civil court.

squib

do you have proof of your lot lines, such as a recent survey? If not and the neighbor disputes the line you claim, you might get told, by the police, they cannot do anything because they cannot determine if the law if being broken or not. Then they would tell you to take the neighbors to court in a civil court.
The survey was done a little over a week ago. The boundary is clearly marked, they have attempted to remove the marking post several times.

justalayman

I would expect the police to do something here. You may have to be willing to file a complaint for it to happen. If the police act in typical fashion, they will first warn the guy to remove the stuff from your property before trying to enforce and real actions.

squib

Sure wish these folks would just face the fact that they don't live on that property anymore.

drewguy

Send a letter, certified return receipt, demanding that they remove the stuff within 2 weeks (or 30 days--whatever) and if they don't you will consider it abandoned, have it removed, and then sue them in small claims court for the costs of removal.

154NH773

The boundary is clearly marked, they have attempted to remove the marking post several times.
Get some electrical grounding rods from an electrical supply house. Pound them in 3-4 feet (making sure there are no underground services) until the tops are slightly below ground level. They are copper coated and can easily be found with a metal detector. I would put them about one inch on your side of the corner, and keep a record of exactly how much they are offset so you will know where the real corner is. They cannot be easily removed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">