• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boundary marker problem in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cedrus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Sonoma County, CA

We bought a home in 1988 (second owners). Home was built in 1966 and in-ground pool built in 1972. Nothing on disclosures about pool being built over the neighbor's property line. We did not have a survey as pool had approved County permits and all looked OK. We sold in 2006. Our buyer did not do a survey and signed off on all contingencies.

Buyer did a survey a year later and found that 3/4ths of the pool and wood deck is over the property line. Have not seen survey but it would seem that a strip about 15 feet by 200 feet is involved. His property is about 2.5 acres. He wrote neighbor and offered to buy the strip and pay all survey and recording costs. Neighbor said "No, remove the pool".

This is on a mountain top and the pool/boundary drops off at a 45 degree angle down about a thousand feet. It is unbuildable. Neighbor's house is about a half-mile south and west of the pool. Neighbor has 133 acres.

Early on, our selling agent asked us to draw a map of all the iron pipe boundary markers I could find (7) and put a wood stake in the ground where I thought the 3 lost IPM's would be and mark them "Approx". I did this. The one wood stake by the SW edge of the property is the one causing all the problem. This is the location of the pool.

We are being sued by our buyer for fraud and negligent misrepresentation. The two RE agents are being sued for breach of fiduciary duty and constructive fraud. His lawyer missed a deadline for setting up mediation, to which we agreed. So, hence the complaint.

Our lawyer has filed an answer to the complaint and filed a cross-complaint. So here we sit....waiting for the judge and lawyers to meet in August to discuss how to proceed. We did not include the nutty neighbor in our filings as we have no "standing", apparently, and the neighbor could come after us for legal costs, should she prevail.

Any thoughts on how we can get the unreasonable neighbor with the 133 acres to sell 1/15th of an acre to our buyer and make this go away? Is there not a legal tenant that "neighbors shall be in agreement"?.

My feeling is that our RE agent gave us BAD advice about mapping the property markers. The Coldwell Banker lawyer representing the two agents has agreed to come to mediation. Might try to involve the title company but that would be a long shot.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

MIKE_G

Unreasonable Neighbor????

They dont owe you a thing? Why not offer to buy their 133 acres and then give away your own property. Good luck suing everyone, you got what you paid for.A unsurveyed property
that you sold that is stil costing you money. Dig deep and have it surveyed, you are still going by your own expert survey, arent you?

They dont owe you a thing? Why not offer to buy their 133 acres and then give away your own property. Good luck suing everyone, you got what you paid for.A unsurveyed property
that you sold that is stil costing you money. Dig deep and have it surveyed, you are still going by your own expert survey, arent you?
Back slowly away from the table Mike_G. Your talents lie elsewhere.

This is too complex for anyone on a web board to offer much advice (that's worth more than what it's printed on). Although if these individuals can affrod to live in the mountains, have a pool, and have those large sections of land deeded to them...this is the proverbial drop in the bucket as far as money is concerned.

MIKE_G

hASTE- makes waste, My apolgies to all. My neighbor wants me to give him my land which angers me to no end. Was the villa sold as is where is? Good Luck

Cedrus

Yo, Senior Judge:

Sounds like you know EVERYTHING about R/E law. (And I know nothing).

How about applying your vast reservoir of superior knowledge to my problem?

Without looking thru the bottom of an Old Fashioned glass.

rowz

options here are few.

1) Remove the offending structures as instructed. Save the legal fees as a result of doing what is right.

2) Get a survey. Who the heck lets a client buy without one anyway.[TWICE no less!!]...much less grant a mortgage without one.

3) Offer an insanely high price for the property that you have improperly coverted to your own use.

4) Pay the lawyer, the surveyr, and possibly the fees of the other side when you lose. Oh....and then pay to remove the offending strutures.

See what your title insurance company will have to say abuot them paying off the complaining party.
Buffet fan - yeah....go keep telling people what others can do to THEIR property/

Me....I would take whats behing door #1

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">