• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boundry issues and easment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rainfall30

What is the name of your state? WA

It all began last year when my neighbor (of 4 years) told me he was going to pave his side of our shared driveway. He also told me that there was a dispute with the prior owners over the property line (there were boards separating spaces). Not wanting to have a blacktop driveway or any hard feelings I told him that I'd be willing to pay for half of a survey. When summer time came around, one day he and his wife took off and had the driveway paved. According to the "boards" they came over onto our side by over a foot. IF it's their property fine.... If it's not what's my recourse (I plan on getting that survey done anyway now).

This has prompted us to want to errect a fence just to not have to see these neighbors anymore. While starting our dig the neighbor comes over to tell us that he has an easment on our property to have access to his backyard (for what I ask, there's nothing back there and he has a "drive thru" garage with a door in the front and back). He is also now claiming that our backyard fence, which we brought all the way to the end of our home last summer, is his. It's errected partially over a cement pad that use to house a garage in our backyard that burnt down before we bought the home and by all appearences looks to be ours. He also removed his gate and attached it to his house at that time.

Besides the driveway issue, I now have to deal with the fence. Should I just finish the fence (once I ensure there isn't an easment) and leave the burden of proof on him about the property line? The fence just happens to be on the same side as the driveway and is even further over onto "our" property then the driveway is if you look at it from the street.

AAAaaaaaawwwwwwwweeeeeeee....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">