• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bridge Right of Way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bridgeway

rural Virginia.

We have a right of way, that includes a bridge, which serves four households. The owner has himself a RoW on the opposite side of the river, which is in a Vdot RoW.

There is no homeowners association, all work on roads and bridge have been done on a gentleman's agreement, and the bridge has been in need of repair or replacement.

The three other households have agreed to a repair bid, with a high number totaling $32,000.

I question the way the decision was made.

Two owners, father and son (who owns RoW) meet with a one contractor, for one proposal, without communicating that they were ready to discuss the bridge, which they have refused to discuss before. Then, they invited the other owner and myself down to have a site meeting with the bidder on a Wednesday. I asked for a written copy of the bid, and was told that "we are not at that stage, yet." The other owner agreed immediately to the bid, while I stated I needed until Saturday to decide. I was not able to contact them until Sunday to ask for the next Wednesday, to see if an option I found, was a real option. I was told that the call was going in Monday morning to move forward with no farther discussion. I was then told Monday evening that work will start three weeks earlier than anticipated, which is to say next week. I have stated in a polite letter that I like neither plan nor process. The RoW owner has verbally offered to pay my share, which was not my intent. I have yet to see a contract.

Is there a possible legal argument that I should not have to be responsible "my share," based on the decision making process of one bid. Not to mention that the plan sounds worse every time I think about, and the project looks to be going forward with out a permit or engineers' stamp. Should I attempt to get a “stop work” order? Or just go through this again in ten years when the repair fails.
Would I be open to a lawsuit if the repairs fail?
If I contact an attorney, what questions should I ask?

Thanks for your help,
BW

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">