• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Broken Sewer line broken by neighbor's tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjrj97

What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

Thanks for reading this post! I have a question on how we could get our neighbor to reimburse us for the broken sewer pipe that they tree have cause.

About 3 weeks ago, our sewer pipe was backup. We hired a plumber to unclott the sewer pipe and dug up some root that was causing our pipe to backup. After having a camera inspection, the plumber concluded that our sewer pipe was in good condition. The problem is actually at the J connector (the connector that connect our sewer pipe to the main pipe), which is on my neighbor's property. My neighbor have a tree which sit right on top of our pipe, as a result, the root of their trees is collapsing our pipe connector. Since, this is on our neighbor's property and it was their tree that is collapsing our connector, we really feel that our neighbor should be liable to the cause of replacing the pipe connector.

Is there any laws that protect homeowner like us that allow us to go after our neighbor for the replacement of the sewer connection which is cause by their tree?

NOTE: If I am right, the location where our broken connector lie is consider a easement. According to city ordinance, it is illegal to have trees and permanent property on top of the easement.

Once again, thanks for reading my post.

JJ

S

seniorjudge

jjrj97 said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hi,

Thanks for reading this post! I have a question on how we could get our neighbor to reimburse us for the broken sewer pipe that they tree have cause.

About 3 weeks ago, our sewer pipe was backup. We hired a plumber to unclott the sewer pipe and dug up some root that was causing our pipe to backup. After having a camera inspection, the plumber concluded that our sewer pipe was in good condition. The problem is actually at the J connector (the connector that connect our sewer pipe to the main pipe), which is on my neighbor's property. My neighbor have a tree which sit right on top of our pipe, as a result, the root of their trees is collapsing our pipe connector. Since, this is on our neighbor's property and it was their tree that is collapsing our connector, we really feel that our neighbor should be liable to the cause of replacing the pipe connector.

Is there any laws that protect homeowner like us that allow us to go after our neighbor for the replacement of the sewer connection which is cause by their tree?

NOTE: If I am right, the location where our broken connector lie is consider a easement. According to city ordinance, it is illegal to have trees and permanent property on top of the easement.

Once again, thanks for reading my post.

JJ

If it's illegal then turn them in to the authorities.

To protect yourself from further damages, you also need to hire an attorney. Your neighbors are trespassing and that should not be allowed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">