• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken, unsightly, possibly dangerous fence across the street

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emari

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

The owners of the house across the street have been leasing to students for years. Right now, there are a few law students living there who are subletting from another law student (New lawyer?). Their fence is broken, falling down, with pieces of jagged wood jutting out. It has been this way at least two years. It could be considered a possible hazard, but it is mostly just very unsightly. My mom feels that this is trashy and should be fixed, as it isn't helping keep property values up. She has talked to two of the law students asking them if she could get the owner's phone number and they told her that she needed to talk to the guy they were subletting from. She finally saw him there, asked him "Are you SoandSo?" and went across the street to talk to him. He informed her she was harrassing him, as she had already asked the two other guys about getting in touch with the owner and this would be the third time she'd asked so mind her own business. He told her her business ended with her property. Is there anything we can do?

emari

Does he have any basis for saying its harrassment since shes asked 3 people who the owner is?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does he have any basis for saying its harrassment since shes asked 3 people who the owner is?
Not really - but the simple fact of the matter is that knowing who the owner is really does you no good. You have no authority to force the owner to do anything. Stop bothering the tenants and contact code enforcement.

emari

I did. I forgot to ask if they issue a citation will it just be sent to the house across the street to the tenants or will it go to the owners out of state?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I did. I forgot to ask if they issue a citation will it just be sent to the house across the street to the tenants or will it go to the owners out of state?
Unfortunately, it's not your business. Perhaps you can have a chat with the code inspector directly?

emari

Also, we weren't gonna force the owners to do anything, just talk to them nicely and hope they'd be cooperative...and go from there

Gail in Georgia

In many communities, property records are online; do a "google" search under "(your county) property records" to find out who owns the house.

Gail

csi7

I agree, a google search will show who the property owner is, current address.

I'd also send a complaint to the code enforcement board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">