• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother disputing fence with sister

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reg7213

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

In 1946, my Dad bought a small piece of land and built a house there. In 1956he bought the house next door, to be used as rental property. There was a fence separating these 2 properties, and in the late 1950s, my Dad put in a different fence, widening his yard. My parents raised us kids there, and when my parents died in 1995, I purchased my Dad's home. (At the time of my Dad's death, I was his tenant in the house next door.) My brother purchased the rental house in 1995.

My brother recently told me that I have part of his land. He said that when our Dad changed the fenceline back in the 1950's, he should have had a new deed made. I frankly didn't know what my brother was talking about, since all these years our family always accepted that the fence was the true boundary line.

Sadly, while I was at work, my brother took it upon himself to rip out part of the fence, chop off 2 feet from blacktop driveway (carport), and re-erect a ramshackle "new" fenceline, cutting into my driveway gate. He had chopped into the ground along the blacktop to create a new "slope" and placed stones and rocks there to make it appear that it was a normal-looking fenceline. Then after making these landscape changes, he hired a surveyor. He says the survey proves that the boundary line is wrong, and he has the right to take back "his land"... I've researched the doctrine of acquiescence in Ohio and feel that since the old fence has been standing undisputed for 56 years, my brother can't do this.

It's become ugly now, as my brother says he's doing this to our family because he feels he was mistreated as a child, and it's payback time. Any suggestions?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

TigerD

Take the issue to a lawyer. It is going to get personal and intense. You have to have someone who can look at the issue dispassionately.

DC

154NH773

In my opinion; Since your father owned both properties, and erected the fence, it went with the property your brother accquired. It is his fence, and his property.

You can get a lawyer and fight it, but I believe it will be wasted money.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I've researched the doctrine of acquiescence in Ohio and feel that since the old fence has been standing undisputed for 56 years, my brother can't do this.
The problem with that is that it applies when properties are owned by different parties, not the same party.

reg7213

Thanks for your input. I've just been really upset about this, as my brother wants to cut through my already-skinny yard, wipe out decades of landscaping, trees, etc., and there are even places in my yard where our dad built up stone, poured a concrete grotto, created a carport, back in 1948-50. I'm just going to have to go to a lawyer... Hoping to resolve this with my brother amicably.

I thought that acquiescence occurred with my 16 years of ownership tacked onto my dad's 40 years ownership, and that everyone in the family treated that fence as the true boundary, as did my (now feuding) brother. I've been reading alot of Ohio case law--a similar one to mine is Huber vs. Cardiff, where a mechanic owned property for 12 years and he and his neighbor treated a fence as the true boundary, when in fact a survey showed his neighbor's property extended onto his. (He won his case.)

Sounds like alot of money involved, tho...:(

154NH773

Adverse possession in Ohio requires 21 years. You cannot tack on your fathers ownership of both properties. Your father could not have been adverse to himself.

Huber v. Cardiff was over 21 years, and was adverse possession not acquiescence (I couldn't find any statute of limitations for "acquiescence" in Ohio, but were it to exist it would likely be the same 21 years). This is not similar to your case.

and there are even places in my yard where our dad built up stone, poured a concrete grotto, created a carport, back in 1948-50.
It is not your yard, it was ALL your father's property and the portion with those improvements went to your brother.

Not only a lot of money; also, no sure win. Court is a crapshoot. You know what they say; Payback is a b***h.

Last edited:

reg7213

Thank you NH154... Last year my brother threatened to go after the executors of the will (two siblings) and the attorney who handled the will. He decided to go after me instead. This whole scenario has been very educational. My dad's house was my first real estate purchase, and I just trusted the boundary line to be true, given that the fence is older than me and we all grew up there. I appreciate your comments! Am hoping to work something out with my brother. I would pay him for this land to make it right. It's better to make peace than war.

154NH773

My dad's house was my first real estate purchase, and I just trusted the boundary line to be true, given that the fence is older than me and we all grew up there.
Unfortunately, this is a common mistake that is the basis for most of the posts in this forum. You should always have a survey done prior to closing on a property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">