• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Build a High Fence to Stop Neighbors Balls from Landing in My Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zanbeak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

so what do you do if your neighbor turns his house into a park and his children launch tons of balls onto your property almost on a daily basis?? can i build a high 12 foot or higher fence to stop it even if the fence limit is 6 feet? build a high net with posts? how does one solve this problem? you know law, so what can one do in this matter? or since they are children i cant do anything?? children can do anything they want in terms of law, right?

nextwife

What are your municipal fence ordinances?

A 12 ft high net may be a hazard to the local songbird population.

nextwife

Mutilate the balls beyond use and throw them back.

They will learn.
AS someone who has lived in the same home the past 16 years, I don't understand creating problems with a neighbor. I like just getting along with mine. If a kid's frisbee or ball ends up on my lawn, big whoop. They are kids for a very short time and will grow out of this. Perhaps talk to the parents and let them know it's become a problem and ask if they can hit in a different direction?

LeeHarveyBlotto

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC

so what do you do if your neighbor turns his house into a park and his children launch tons of balls onto your property almost on a daily basis?? can i build a high 12 foot or higher fence to stop it even if the fence limit is 6 feet? build a high net with posts? how does one solve this problem? you know law, so what can one do in this matter? or since they are children i cant do anything?? children can do anything they want in terms of law, right?
Have you actually talked to the neighbor? Are they damaging your property?

zanbeak

its not 1 kid with 1 ball or frisbee. its a ton of kids. like i said before its like a park. they throw over many many balls like its a park. so basically your saying since they are children they are above the law right? there is nothing one can do? is it illegal to build a 12 foot or higher chain link fence? will the DOB make you take it down or not? do they have to measure its height first? obviously i wont let the DOB into my house without a warrant.

CSO286

its not 1 kid with 1 ball or frisbee. its a ton of kids. like i said before its like a park. they throw over many many balls like its a park. so basically your saying since they are children they are above the law right? there is nothing one can do? is it illegal to build a 12 foot or higher chain link fence? will the DOB make you take it down or not? do they have to measure its height first? obviously i wont let the DOB into my house without a warrant.
Once again----Did you try talking to your neighbor?

xylene

AS someone who has lived in the same home the past 16 years, I don't understand creating problems with a neighbor. I like just getting along with mine. If a kid's frisbee or ball ends up on my lawn, big whoop. They are kids for a very short time and will grow out of this. Perhaps talk to the parents and let them know it's become a problem and ask if they can hit in a different direction?
you are imagining children doing it accidentally "Gee wilikers I hit a home run into mr jenkins yard." Which is fair.

I am imagining children doing it deliberately to harass a neighbor.

I was a kid, and kids do mess with people - on purpose. Showing a kid you are an adult and capable of messing back on a scale they can't match will make a point. For a lot less than a six foot fence.

TigerD

For crying out loud. This is stupid.

Someone should be an adult and it should probably start with the OP.
1. Don't destroy their property. It is stupid, childish, and you could potentially be liable for the damage.
2. Lose your attitude. I read two posts of yours and I want to go throw crap in your yard. Your neighbors probably hate you. Figure out why and fix it.
3. Get a box, a cheap cardboard box.
4. Put the stuff that comes over the fence in the box.
5. When the kids come to get it, tell them you will only release it to their parents.
6. When the parents come to get it, show them the volume and point out that it is a problem.

DC

zanbeak

they dont throw em on purpose. they kick em or hit em so hard most come over into my yard. how do i fix this? should i arrest those little children? should a i build a fence larger than the one in Yerusalem? what can one do? or are children immune from the law ? is it true that only Obama and little kids are above the law ??:eek:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
they dont throw em on purpose. they kick em or hit em so hard most come over into my yard. how do i fix this? should i arrest those little children? should a i build a fence larger than the one in Yerusalem? what can one do? or are children immune from the law ? is it true that only Obama and little kids are above the law ??:eek:
You received a very valid, mature, reasoned response already:

For crying out loud. This is stupid.

Someone should be an adult and it should probably start with the OP.
1. Don't destroy their property. It is stupid, childish, and you could potentially be liable for the damage.
2. Lose your attitude. I read two posts of yours and I want to go throw crap in your yard. Your neighbors probably hate you. Figure out why and fix it.
3. Get a box, a cheap cardboard box.
4. Put the stuff that comes over the fence in the box.
5. When the kids come to get it, tell them you will only release it to their parents.
6. When the parents come to get it, show them the volume and point out that it is a problem.

DC

CSO286

What law prohibits a child from kicking a ball over a fence??!!

DoWhat

If I was you I'd walk over, knock on the door, and then congratulate their parents for raising kids who are actually outside playing instead of inside with their hands glued to video game controllers. ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">