• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Builder misrepresented lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mem2966

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I bought a subdivision lot (approx. 1/3 acre) from a builder for new construction. After the builder poured the foundation, I realized that the back of my lot - which by state law must be 45' from the back of my house - was actually in an existing neighbors yard. The existing neighbor had already been there for 2+ years and had built a pool house and fence and planted trees - all technically on the lot the builder sold me.

Additionally, after we purchased the lot, but before construction started, the builder brought in a tremendous amount of fill to build up the area around the house. So now I have about 5 feet of back yard, followed by a steep slope approximately 10' deep and 40' long.

I want out of the contract because I don't want a legal battle with the neighbors who are already there and I feel that the builder misrepresented the lot. I also believe the builder has altered the lot in such a way that I don't want it - since the back yard is so steep.

Any advice or comments are appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">