• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

building ON property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimcoulee

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Wisconsin

We purchased a rural home in 1998 that included a large pole building. The agreed property line ran through the building as the sellers agreed on the contract to move the structure within a year. After repeated gentle requests to "get this thing moved" excuses are now getting rather creative.
It has now been just over seven years. I really don't need a 60'x140' building, but I've been considering what my options could be. Like presenting a bill for storage of his farm equipment on our side of the building, or getting an estimate to move the building and presenting it to him or simply start moving a few of my things into the section of the building that lies on our property.
A survey exists, and there is even a stake with orange tape on it indicating "the line" in clear view from the road he travels daily.

What is the law regarding aquired possesion or statute of limitations for his failure to comply with the contract. Thanks.

nextwife

Good grief. Why didn't you simply escrow funds at closing sufficient to cover 1 1/2 X your cost to move the building, to be paid out to you if they failed to perform by X date? That would have given them an incentive to make sure they got it done. Where was your attorney/Realtor?

Liz1965

"Grandfather" laws may apply

When was the building built? My house was built in 1929, and recently it was discovered that one corner of the house extends 6 inches into neighboring property. But because it has been there for so long, it is considered "granfathered in," so no action needs to be taken. It might be worthwhile to find out if similar laws exist in your area, and find out when they might take effect. Good luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">