• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Building steps within 2 inches of property line.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seedoodle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky
I own a peice of property that my dad sold 60ft of to his brother many yrs ago. My uncle had steps approx a ft from the property line and sold his part to someone that wants to be petty. This person build new steps and placed them 2 inches from the line. Is this legal or can i have her remove them? also she keeps taking my no trespassing signs and string that I marked the property line with down and removed a snow ball bush. I wouldn't care but she is a friend or relative of someone that works for the city and keeps harrassing me because I won't sell her my property.Thanks for any information you can give me on this.

justalayman

You would need to speak to the local building department to determine if the steps in this situation are allowed to be that close to the property line or not. Local ordinances or building regulations would control regarding any setback from a property line.

to the removal of the signs and string and the theft or destruction of the bush: call the police and file a complaint.

sally1

Check out zoning laws to see if there are setback requirements for the steps.Many things do have setback requirements.

If it has been a long time since a survey I would recommend a boundary survey of atleast the side in question.Corner metal pins and wooden stakes(set deep) every 5-10-or 20 feet to mark the line. Follow your local fence rules and put up a fence.Even a dinky 4 foot chanlink will be fine.Anything to keep your neighbor on their land.

If the laws allow it she can do was she wants on her land,and you can do the same.Have her cited for trepass and damage to property next time she pulls out plants or takes signs down. Take legal action and make her pay then she might stop.Well actually she will propbably just be more sly about it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">