• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an access easement grantee install posted no trespass signs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fertich

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

My property has an easement granted to my neighbor. It states that the purpose is for access, grantors make no warranty of title, the grantee must repair & maintain the easement for the intended use, and it must be maintained in an unsightly manner. Nowhere does it say it is exclusive. Originally the easement was written to add exclusions such as no commercial use, no parking cars & no buildings allowed on the easement. Then years later, the easement was amended to remove those original exclusions. My neighbor has installed 15 signs (no trespass, keep out, stop signs are in one area near the road) & bushes/decorative rocks on the easement. His attorney says that he has successfully argued in other cases that a right to install signs is a necessary part of an easement & my neighbor says he can use the easement in any way he needs.

My biggest concerns are:
- the 15 signs (including 4 stop signs) are very unsightly in my opinion (which is an easement violation)
- the signs could damage the trees
- the signs could reduce the timber value
- with his signs, he is exerting some right to exclude others, whereas I as the owner feel that I should allow whoever I want to use the driveway without fear of him calling the police regarding a tresspass
- I am concerned that the easement holder could potentially try an adverse possession claim, because from my understanding posting a property is a sign of possession and is a hostile act.
- he is treating the easement like it is his own property and is very possessive of his activities. He claims he can do anything he wants on this easement.

Is there Pennsylvania case law that can be used to defend me that asserts what are allowable activities on a non-exclusive easement created for access?

Additionally, part of his driveway is beyond the easement and is directly on my property and he mows and as a mulch bed as well directly on my property outside the easement. I know this is a trespass and I will have no issue resolving this. Pennsylvania requires 21 years for someone to take property by adverse possession and it has only been about 14 years. But my main concerns that I need advice on are the rights he is exerting on the easement noted above.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state?
Pennsylvania

My property has an easement granted to my neighbor. It states that the purpose is for access, grantors make no warranty of title, & the grantee must repair & maintain the easement for the intended use. Nowhere does it say it is exclusive. Originally the easement was written to add exclusions such as no commercial use, no parking cars & no buildings allowed on the easement. Then years later, the easement was amended to remove those original exclusions. My neighbor has installed many no trespass signs & bushes/decorative rocks on the easement. His attorney says that he has successfully argued in other cases that a right to install signs is a necessary part of an easement & my neighbor says he can use the easement in any way he needs. Is there Pennsylvania case law that can be used to defend me?
In what way has your access been impeded?

FarmerJ

If the > signs & bushes/decorative rocks on the easement. Are not on his side of the lot line then he doesnt have the right to do more than cross over your land on this easement and maintain it NOT altering or adding things to your property. His atty did say use the easement in anyway he needed but first off he cant constantly over burden it , so say he had enough land to split is lot into 4 individual lots , then its fair to argue that 4 homes using it over burdens the easement. Second use does not translate into making other alterations to your property like adding bushes & sign post & maintaining the easement area is just that , not improving but only doing what is needed to keep the easement usable, so bushes and signpost on your land have nothing to do with use.

Last edited:

154NH773

Without looking at case law, he may have an argument that he should be able to limit use, since he is responsible for maintenance.
All the ambiguous issues would have to be decided by a court, which could find any which way depending on the judge.
Although; you, as the owner, should probably have "reasonable" access since his use is not exclusive, and his damage to trees and "unsightly" signs might be found in your favor.
Always interesting when easements are not well spelled out.

154NH773

A quick look at some case law shows that even if the easement were "exclusive", which yours is not, the term "exclusive" may even be ambiguous.

720 A.2d 147
FEDORKO PROPERTIES, INC., Appellee,
v.
C.F. ZURN & ASSOCIATES, Appellant.
Superior Court of Pennsylvania.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">