• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take a neighbor to court suspected of spying?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan_Meg

New York

My mother and I live in an apartment complex. The walls are somewhat thin but most neighbors try not to disturb others. We shouldn't be able to hear foot steps unless someone is stomping. My mother and I live on the 12th floor. The neighbors I am complaining about is on the 13th floor right above us, they have to children. When we first moved in things were pretty quiet, then the banging started. It was in every room we happen to be in, it would stop when we moved to another. We thought it was just coincidence at first or the sound was just carrying or even construction. But it became increasingly clear, after 4 years, it was not. If I set up cameras around our home showing how the banging/knocking/dragging/stomping would stop and start, would that be enough proof to take them to court? If we win can we gain money? enough to move somewhere else?

I know this sounds a little crazy but live here for 4 years and you would understand.

We have tried calling the police, there would be a pause but it would start right back up again, louder.

The banging has reduced over the years. The constant following doesn't stop until we're sleeping. My mother and I have to take vacations just to get away. We do not know how they are doing it. We have tried everything within our budget but it continues. We are quiet people and we keep to ourselves, there is no reason why we should be targeted like this.

Antigone*

New York

My mother and I live in an apartment complex. The walls are somewhat thin but most neighbors try not to disturb others. We shouldn't be able to hear foot steps unless someone is stomping. My mother and I live on the 12th floor. The neighbors I am complaining about is on the 13th floor right above us, they have to children. When we first moved in things were pretty quiet, then the banging started. It was in every room we happen to be in, it would stop when we moved to another. We thought it was just coincidence at first or the sound was just carrying or even construction. But it became increasingly clear, after 4 years, it was not. If I set up cameras around our home showing how the banging/knocking/dragging/stomping would stop and start, would that be enough proof to take them to court? If we win can we gain money? enough to move somewhere else?

I know this sounds a little crazy but live here for 4 years and you would understand.

We have tried calling the police, there would be a pause but it would start right back up again, louder.

The banging has reduced over the years. The constant following doesn't stop until we're sleeping. My mother and I have to take vacations just to get away. We do not know how they are doing it. We have tried everything within our budget but it continues. We are quiet people and we keep to ourselves, there is no reason why we should be targeted like this.
I suggest you speak to a counselor about your delusions.

xylene

My mother and I have to take vacations just to get away.
You need to move into a detached house.

Tower life is not for you.

The police as well the civil courts are just not going to be of any help to someone with your sensitivities to sound transfer.

I am sure you upper neighbors are loud, but your hypothesis that this is intentional sounds very dubious, and is not supported by any facts that you present.

Megan_Meg

You need to move into a detached house.

Tower life is not for you.

The police as well the civil courts are just not going to be of any help to someone with your sensitivities to sound transfer.

I am sure you upper neighbors are loud, but your hypothesis that this is intentional sounds very dubious, and is not supported by any facts that you present.
We would move if we could.
But we don't have the money.
I'm still in college.
I'm tempted to knock open the walls to see what I will find.
I don't expect people who haven't been in this situation to understand how I feel.
But there must be someway to get enough evidence to take them to court

Antigone*

We would move if we could.
But we don't have the money.
I'm still in college.
I'm tempted to knock open the walls to see what I will find.
I don't expect people who haven't been in this situation to understand how I feel.
But there must be someway to get enough evidence to take them to court
You go right aheand and knock open the walls, you'll be back here looking for a criminal attorney.:cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Honestly, you have no case. I would suggest that you find other living arrangements.

xylene

How very interesting that all this began around the typical age of onset for schizophrenia.

Megan_Meg

Ok, how about this for some proof.
I set up audio devices around our apartment.
We left for a some hours and came back late.

The banging started as soon as we got comfortable. I checked the audio devices and there was no sound expect for the occasional noise from upstairs around the time we were leaving. So it was quiet when we were not home.

I did this another day and I got the same results.

There has never been a day since we moved here that there were no sounds coming from upstairs.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sounds from upstairs are par for the course when you live below someone.

And you STILL haven't answered my question about what damages you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">