• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can this be invasion of privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbak

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My neighbor who lives in the same building entered my apt (my door was unlocked for a second) and took a picture. Her feet did not enter the room but her upper body. She opened the door, put her upper body into the room, and took some pictures of my room. She did not publish the picture.

The purpose of taking pictures was to find out "shady" things that she believed that I am doing. I have nothing to hide and I seriously think she is crazy. I have no problem if a police comes in, but I do have a problem my neighbor opens my apt's door and "gather" information in my private space assuming that she will find something.

Since I had no sign or notice of "no trespassing" on my apt's door nor locked my door, I believe my neighbor's act does not meet the criteria for trespassing.

However, her act caused a great deal of mental distress. Can her act meet the invasion of privacy with the ground of intrusion? If so, is a tort a violation of law same as misdemeanor?

I do not know if invasion of privacy is less serious than trespassing, but I just do not understand someone can get away with entering someone's private without permission (entering means entering any part of one's body)....

If someone could help, I would really really appreciate it.

Thank you!!!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

My neighbor who lives in the same building entered my apt (my door was unlocked for a second) and took a picture. Her feet did not enter the room but her upper body. She opened the door, put her upper body into the room, and took some pictures of my room. She did not publish the picture.

The purpose of taking pictures was to find out "shady" things that she believed that I am doing. I have nothing to hide and I seriously think she is crazy. I have no problem if a police comes in, but I do have a problem my neighbor opens my apt's door and "gather" information in my private space assuming that she will find something.

Since I had no sign or notice of "no trespassing" on my apt's door nor locked my door, I believe my neighbor's act does not meet the criteria for trespassing.

However, her act caused a great deal of mental distress. Can her act meet the invasion of privacy with the ground of intrusion? If so, is a tort a violation of law same as misdemeanor?

I do not know if invasion of privacy is less serious than trespassing, but I just do not understand someone can get away with entering someone's private without permission (entering means entering any part of one's body)....

If someone could help, I would really really appreciate it.

Thank you!!!
If I were you I would talk to the Apt Mgr. or LL.

Just Blue

I am interested in the legal term, since it has a better ground than the possibly subjective view of LL.
If your objective is to create an acrimonious living environment, feel free to file a complaint with your local P.D. You MIGHT have grounds...ask an attorney to assist you in this.

If your objective is to stop this person from being a PITA then a complaint to the LL would be better. IMHO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">