• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a sign for no parking and private property be erected on Outlot?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bigshott

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello, the deeded subdivision has 5 outlets within its property. We have no home owners association, but the outlots butt up to a lake. Can residents erect a small sign stating private property and no parking, for resident use only?
Outlots are recorded on state plat. Plat was recorded in 1932 and each outlet is recorded with subdivision name and Outlot #

justalayman

So, who owns the outlets? You cannot unilaterally lay claim to control of property that is not owned by you unless there is some other mechanism in place that would allow you such control.

And don't say nobody owns them or the subdivision owns them. A subdivision is generally not a corporate entity (and it sounds like yours isn't either) so the subdivision cannot own anything.

But somebody owns them and since there is no HOA, that owner is who controls those lots.

Last edited:

Bigshott

I am confused by your answer.

"But somebody owns them and since there is no HOA, that owner is who controls those lots."

Would it beneficial to institute an HOA to deal with these properties

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think the sign is the problem. It's only a problem when they try to enforce it.

154NH773

I am confused by your answer.
"But somebody owns them and since there is no HOA, that owner is who controls those lots."
Would it beneficial to institute an HOA to deal with these properties
Without trying to answer for Zigner; you must understand that the only person, or entity, who can control what happens on the outlots is the owner of the outlot. You have to determine who is the legal owner. That can be done by a title search. If you don't feel confident in doing the title search yourself, you can hire a local title company to do the search. It should not be a very expensive search.

You cannot "institute an HOA to deal with these properties" without kinowing who actually owns the property.

justalayman

I don't think the sign is the problem. It's only a problem when they try to enforce it.
They might get away with such a ruse but depending on all of the facts, I could see where such actions could have some negative consequences for the op as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">