• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cat attacked by neighbor's police dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wrongron

I'm in Washington state. Not sure if this post belongs here. Sorry if it's mis-placed.

My neighbor is a state trooper and has a bomb sniffing dog. Yesterday, when he arrived at home, his dog tore out of his car and chased my cat. I was alerted to the sound of my cat banking off my front window. When I opened the front door, I could see the cat under my car, the dog going around the car with the officer chasing the dog and yelling it's name. The dog was wearing it's harness, but there was no leash attached.

I watched but did not interfere. The officer was wearing his sidearm, and I had no idea as to the ferocity of the dog. It is a German Shepard. Eventually, the officer grabs the dog, apologizes and returns home.

When my wife comes outside, I explain what happened and let her know where the cat has run to. She and my 13 year old son go after the cat. Eventually my son finds the cat and it is bleeding from all four paws. My wife drives the car around the block, retrieves the cat, and upon returning is stopped by the officer. She tells the officer "leave me alone, I'm angry and don't want to talk about this now". The officer's response... "I'm the one who's angry here. Your cat should be on a leash or in your yard. It's always in the street when I come and it annoys my dog."

Yes, our CC&R's do specifically mention that cat's aren't allowed to roam freely. And these are detached houses, not condos or townhomes.

I don't want to start anything, but it seems the officer might. It's very difficult to keep the cats inside although we do bring them in every night. Many other neighbors have cats that stay outside always.

What should I be thinking or doing at this point?

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Although the CC&R's state your cats aren't supposed to roam freely, the dog is also supposed to be restrained. Did you incur any vet bills? If so, file a claim with the police department and also ask that the officer reimburse you.
With all that said. Yes, you should keep your cats inside. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't have cats.
(It doesn't matter what all the neighbors do.)

Oh, and you can expect to receive whatever "punishment" is called for in the CC&R's for your cats roaming freely.

fairisfair

Although the CC&R's state your cats aren't supposed to roam freely, the dog is also supposed to be restrained. Did you incur any vet bills? If so, file a claim with the police department and also ask that the officer reimburse you.
With all that said. Yes, you should keep your cats inside. If you can't do that, then you shouldn't have cats.
(It doesn't matter what all the neighbors do.)

Oh, and you can expect to receive whatever "punishment" is called for in the CC&R's for your cats roaming freely.
Sorry, I disagree, if both animals were unrestrained, why would the dog's owner be responsible for injuries to the cat? Just because the cat lost? :confused:

wrongron

All that said, why would the officer want to make an issue here? I stood in the front of my yard watching this fiasco. At one point, the dog ran up to me and sniffed my hand. Couldn't he just as easily attacked me thinking me a terrorist? Isn't there some measure of negligence present here? Shouldn't police officers restrain these animals? I think there are rules saying so.

And in my defense, our cats are only allowed out in the daytime. They are not nuisance cats.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All that said, why would the officer want to make an issue here? I stood in the front of my yard watching this fiasco. At one point, the dog ran up to me and sniffed my hand. Couldn't he just as easily attacked me thinking me a terrorist? Isn't there some measure of negligence present here? Shouldn't police officers restrain these animals? I think there are rules saying so.

And in my defense, our cats are only allowed out in the daytime. They are not nuisance cats.

Thanks for all of your responses.
As a function of "law" your cats are fine. However, as a function of "rules" (the CC&R's), you are not supposed to allow your cats to "roam freely". There is no mention of by day or by night. You can expect the HOA to take action if the officer complains.

PghREA

Apparently, the cat was not in his own yard. The dog got out of the policeman's car - so I'm assuming the dog WAS on his own property (to begin with.) A dog does not need to leashed on his own property but, he should respond to the owner's voice command.

IMO, it is a draw here. OP should keep his cat in the house or train him to stay in his own yard (yes, it can be done, I've done with my cat.)

Hopefully, nothing will happen with this incident because, you are both at fault.

wrongron

And who do I complain to? If he threatens to file a complaint with the HOA, do I file a complaint with his department?

And does it make sense for him? Is he completely immune here?

lcannister

I suspect you are really building your case in this situation JUST IN CASE the officer reports you for breaking the rules.

wrongron

Kinda, but not really. The cat is OK, the dog is OK. I think he should apologize to my wife instead of threatening. But if he continues to threat, I would like to know what are my rights, and what I should respond with.

Not looking to create a legal issue. Trying to avoid one...

moburkes

Kinda, but not really. The cat is OK, the dog is OK. I think he should apologize to my wife instead of threatening. But if he continues to threat, I would like to know what are my rights, and what I should respond with.

Not looking to create a legal issue. Trying to avoid one...
If your cat wasn't outside, which you acknowlege that you WILLFULLY violate the bylaws of the community in which you CHOSE to live, this wouldn't have happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">