• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City wont let me install 6 foot dish

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilmale1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

i live in mission viejo where there is no association fee
im trying to install this dish and i was told twice i cant mostlikely get a permit
for this

here is what is says and my dish is 6ft diameter and six feet tall
should i dispute this and where, will have a license tech do the installation too

i dont want to ask a dumb question but or do it as this paper says

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CITY OF MISSION VIEJO
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
Division of Building and Safety

PERMITS REQUIRED FOR THE INSTALLATION OF DISC ANTENNAS

The purpose of this newsletter is to disseminate information regarding regulation of the
installation of disc-type television antennas, within the City of Mission Viejo.

A building permit shall be required for the installation of each disc type antenna for
which the following conditions are applicable:

1. An earth-founded antenna, of which the highest point is more than 6 feet above
grade, measured along a plumb line from high point grade.

2. A building-mounted antenna (roof or wall mount), of which the maximum
dimension of the disc in any direction is greater than 16”.

An electrical permit shall also be required for the installation of each electrical omeone licensed system serving a disc antenna.
An application for a permit shall be prepared to submit the following information:
• Two sets of plans which delineate the proposed work. Each set shall include a
plot plan, and details of the work.
• Structural calculations and details, which justify the support and anchorage of the
building mounted disc antenna.
• Signatures of all site affected adjacent neighbors with addresses and written
Homeowners Association Approval.
• Plan check and permit fees shall be paid in accordance with the City Ordinances
and Resolutions.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Well that ordinance is partially pre-empted by federal regulations, but not in any way thats going to help you. OTARD applies (other than Alaska) to dishes a meter in diameter or less. This covers most of the DBS stuff. Do people still use the C-band stuff any more? I used to have one of those dishes 20 years ago but it was dying off even back then.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Have you tried to get the permits listed and turned down or what?

lilmale1

still need help

a contract planner for the city will let me know

but i have not contacted him afraid he will warn me by saying no

i've talked to the billing and community development department division of Building and Safety

and was referred to the city planner whereas they said mostly likely to say no
thats what billing say

i wanted some advice is there anything i can do before i contact the contract planner for that purpose of having a dish antenns that big ? and

if so i contacted him, will it matter if i told him that i would get license intaller for it to do all the planning and install

or is it just final what he said based on a city regulations

the papaer from the very beginning says i need a permit for this - thats why im heading in that direction not that im trying to ignore what federal law is saying in whole but no because clearly they would rather say no than because of what the planner knows and not work with me

i mean do they decide or federal law

excuse me for not being clear but this is how i write to express this situation

justalayman

first, you obviously need a permit. If the dish is 6' in diameter, once on a mount it has to be taller than 6', which requires a permit.

i live in mission viejo where there is no association fee
im trying to install this dish and i was told twice i cant mostlikely get a permit
for this
who said you likely won't get a permit and for what reason would your application be denied?

Generally, as long as you comply with the requirements to obtain a permit, the governing agency cannot refuse you a permit. So, have you met each of the criteria stated?

• Signatures of all site affected adjacent neighbors with addresses and written
Homeowners Association Approval.
If there is an HOA, you will have to have written approval. You will also need your adjacent neighbors written approval as well. Do you have all of that?

• Two sets of plans which delineate the proposed work. Each set shall include a
plot plan, and details of the work
Do you have those plans?

• Structural calculations and details, which justify the support and anchorage of the
building mounted disc antenna.
this will require an engineers stamp on plans for the anchor stating it meets whatever requirements the building department requires. Do you have that?

lilmale1

situation cleared but not promised

clearly enought i was said to need a plan picture to do this
so now im happy

they said i can do it myself

and all i need is that and someone to approve my permit

i just have a question or two or three

how long should this permit take to have and will it be a life time or a life time thing?

will i have to pay alot or something like? example

is it necessary to get signed off by a neighboor if i am going to do this

because im sure they don't mind me doing it right, the dish is 6feet by 6feet square im thinking

and the dish is six feet ofcourse still and the neighboor on back top of slope will only be able to see the dish at the very bottom floor

anyway thanks guys for your questions on what to do

if you ask me this lady is manager of planning also and she was nice to me

about helping me

and now im into this

somehow i was going back and forth weather i could or not

Last edited:

justalayman

how long should this permit take to have and will it be a life time or a life time thing?
the permit would be for the life of the installation. How long to get the permit? Once all the criteria are met, it should be issued on the spot.

will i have to pay alot or something like? example
you will have to ask your building department. Every locality in the country sets their own rates.

is it necessary to get signed off by a neighboor if i am going to do this
that is one of the requirements you stated was necessary so yes, you would have to have all adjacent property owners sign off on this.

because im sure they don't mind me doing it right, the dish is 6feet by 6feet square im thinking
well, you will have to ask and have their permission to do this.

drewguy

first, you obviously need a permit. If the dish is 6' in diameter, once on a mount it has to be taller than 6', which requires a permit.
As a matter of geometry that is not necessarily true, as it is likely not to be fully upright, but rather angled. If it were parallel to the ground the mounted height might be only 2 feet, and if angled still might come under 6 feet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">