• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil suite question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dagny80204

Colorado

My neighbor, who I had always been friendly with, came on to my property two weeks ago (while I was at work) and cut a major arterial limb off my tree. I understand that he has the right to cut branches that may hang over his property (although I think common courtesy is to discuss with the owner), but he cut the LIMB that about 600 BRANCHES were attached to.
Additionally, he did a lot of damage to the tree by cutting 3/4 of the way through the limb, and the weight of all the branches caused it to break the rest of the way, tearing into the trunk of the tree.
When I went to talk to him about it, he said,"Listen here woman...." and threatened to do more. I told him to stay away from my tree and if there was a problem, talk to me and I would take care of it. I also said to him that if he had EVER said anything to me, I would have worked with him to mitigate the problem, but to unilaterially cut the limb disrespected me not only as his neighbor, but also as a friend.
Two days later, he came BACK onto my property and sprayed pruning spray on all his cuts (which is considered toxic to trees).
I have filed a police report and had an arboreal inspector come out to look at the tree, who said that he cut about $2300 of value off a $10,000 tree and did about $400 worth of damage, as well as affected the life of the tree by 5 to 7 years.
I want to sue him in civil court for property devaluation, the cost to mitigate his damage, and for pain and mental stress. Is this a valid suit and how would I find a civil attorney to assist me? I would be happy to give the lawyer 20 percent of the suit -- I just want the neighbors to realize what they did was completely wrong and uncalled for.What is the name of your state?

dagny80204

Outcome

;)Tranquility, I wanted you to know that I received $1700 in court on Monday for devaluation of my property and to repair the damage done to my tree by my neighborh. I'm over it now.

dagny80204

It was actually six weeks -- May 16 the tree was cut and our court appearance was June 30, 2008 in Jefferson County Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">