• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CO-Neighbor's tree over my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KalRucker

What is the name of your state? Colorado.

My neighbor has a large Cottonwood tree that has grown over the roof of my house. I'm worried that a strong wind or heavy snow could bring a large branch right through my roof. Smaller branches from the tree have already fallen on my shed and yard. I want the tree cut so no branches are over my property.

Do I have the legal right to request my neighbor to cut the tree?
Who would be responsible for paying to get the tree cut?

Many thanks for any clues.

Kal in Colorado

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

KalRucker said:
What is the name of your state? Colorado.

My neighbor has a large Cottonwood tree that has grown over the roof of my house. I'm worried that a strong wind or heavy snow could bring a large branch right through my roof. Smaller branches from the tree have already fallen on my shed and yard. I want the tree cut so no branches are over my property.

Do I have the legal right to request my neighbor to cut the tree?

MY RESPONSE: Yes. You have the legal right to request. However, that was the wrong question.

Who would be responsible for paying to get the tree cut?

MY RESPONSE: You. The limbs are over the property line on your side. Therefore, it's up to you to cut the limbs and bear the expense. You may cut the limbs up to the property line.

Many thanks for any clues.

MY RESPONSE: You're welcome.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">