• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

common driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noel62

What is the name of your state?Alabama
My driveway is an abadonded city alley. I share it with one other property.
It is noted on both of our deeds that it is now a "Common drive". It allows my neighbor ingress and egress to the rear of his property. His actual driveway, in the front of his house is on a different street than my house. The common drive runs directly beside my house and is my ONLY means of access to the rear of my property. Besides the inconvenience and aggravation of having people drive within inches of my house (and in the past INTO my house), I have had no problem with this particular neighbor. I am in the middle of heavy renovations (100 year old house in an historic district) so occassionally I have ladders, scaffolding, tools, etc. blocking the common drive. When I do so, I let this neighbor know that I will be working and he uses his front driveway. My problem is with my next door neighbor on the opposite side of my property. Not only has he decided that he has a legal right to walk up and down the common drive at his whim and has informed me that it is a public alley and that I do not own the property and cannot keep him out of it, but a week ago when I was working and had it blocked, he proceeded to sling my personal items out of his way and then went home and actually called the police! The police were less than happy when they arrived and informed him that if it was indeed now a common drive and no longer an alley, that he would be trespassing. My attorney has since written him a letter threatening further action if he continues to use the common drive because at this point he is simply doing it out of spite and to intimidate me. The letter has apparently done no good whatsoever because the day after he received it, he jumped at the opportunity to once again (as soon as he saw me outside) show me that he would continue to use it regardless.
I am so tired of being scared to walk out of my own backyard, not knowing who I will encounter, day or night. There is obviously something wrong with this guy and I am afraid of what he may be capable of. Please, someone tell me that there is something that I can do to keep this guy off of this property!

PghREA

noel62 said:
What is the name of your state?Alabama. My attorney has since written him a letter threatening further action if he continues to use the common drive because at this point he is simply doing it out of spite and to intimidate me. !

Contact your attorney and proceed with carrying out the "threats" in his letter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">