• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

complaining neighbor issue - vehicles issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nevrenuf1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

This is a 3 part question, I have several vehicles which all licensed and insured, but not all inspected due to they cant be in PA, they are competition vehicles, they are licensed and inspected just to appease the township. ( one is a rock crawler and one is a drag car).

1:) 2 neighbors are complaining because they never see me drive the cars, apparently there is a township ordinance that sais you must drive every vehicle you own 50 miles every 3 days, I cant possibly see how this is legal or possible with the cost involved. How can they enforce this law or even create such a ridiculous law?

2:) Part 2: The neighbors are also complaining because the 2 vehicles aren't inspected, I don't see really how a town ordinance can force you to get your vehicle inspected. Can they? Inspection is to prove its road worthy.

3:) Part 3, and this part really goes to show how much they are nit picking, I have a blue plastic barrel ( about a 30 gallon) that is in my parking area where my vehicle park In my yard, I use it for recycled aluminum cans and such, its not over flowing or any thing like that just sitting there, when it gets full i take it in, I have received a fine for rubbish and was told by the cop to hide, the neighbors don't like it and its basically illegal to recycle because its rubbish.

I refuse too hide it, recycling is encouraged, the fact the these 2 retired jerks with nothing better to do is really irritating.

Thank you for your time and advise.

D.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

This is a 3 part question, I have several vehicles which all licensed and insured, but not all inspected due to they cant be in PA, they are competition vehicles, they are licensed and inspected just to appease the township. ( one is a rock crawler and one is a drag car).

1:) 2 neighbors are complaining because they never see me drive the cars, apparently there is a township ordinance that sais you must drive every vehicle you own 50 miles every 3 days, I cant possibly see how this is legal or possible with the cost involved. How can they enforce this law or even create such a ridiculous law?

2:) Part 2: The neighbors are also complaining because the 2 vehicles aren't inspected, I don't see really how a town ordinance can force you to get your vehicle inspected. Can they? Inspection is to prove its road worthy.

3:) Part 3, and this part really goes to show how much they are nit picking, I have a blue plastic barrel ( about a 30 gallon) that is in my parking area where my vehicle park In my yard, I use it for recycled aluminum cans and such, its not over flowing or any thing like that just sitting there, when it gets full i take it in, I have received a fine for rubbish and was told by the cop to hide, the neighbors don't like it and its basically illegal to recycle because its rubbish.

I refuse too hide it, recycling is encouraged, the fact the these 2 retired jerks with nothing better to do is really irritating.

Thank you for your time and advise.

D.
The bolded seems impossible to me. I use my car every day and I don't drive that many miles in a week...let alone 3 days. I know retired people who might not drive their cars more than once a week. Therefore, that law makes no sense. Have you actually seen this law in writing?

nevrenuf1

The bolded seems impossible to me. I use my car every day and I don't drive that many miles in a week...let alone 3 days. I know retired people who might not drive their cars more than once a week. Therefore, that law makes no sense. Have you actually seen this law in writing?
Yes, its sad to say, I have a copy of the ordinance and it is written in there, and the ordinance was written in 1972. I also have my daily driver truck and work in another town and drive if I'm lucky 20 miles in 6 days. My RV only gets 100 miles a year.

nevrenuf1

**Just a note to this as well. I have been asked by others if I go out and irritate the neighbors with my toys. Nope. I work M-F 8 am to 8 pm and Sat 8-1 and then go play, the vehicles are winched on to the trailer. The only option I can think for the nit picking is that I dont fit their ideals of a neighbor.

FarmerJ

If your vehicles are non street use and on trailers then the trailers are what need license plates NOT the vehicles and who ever in your town told you that all vehicles must have license plates road use or not has to be wrong because in theory then they could force recreational use 4 wheelers for trail use to be plated even though they may not be legal for street use same goes for off road dirt bikes or snow mobiles (ohh ohhh ohhhhh , does your town ban snow mobile use on its streets ? if they do but dont require license plates on the snowmobile then theres further argument that your off road things do not need them when trailered ) so even if you have seen those ords It may well be worth your time to talk to your city council people and see if they have the money to fund a legal battle over this 50 mile crap and bluff them that you will pay for satellite imagery to take pictures of the entire town and then use those pictures to force the town to ticket every violator of the 50 mile crap. Go house to house and make it clear that this ordinance makes no sense and if your city council insist on keeping it they are going to create legal bills that every one in the town will have to pay. Threaten your town council that you will run for a seat on it if they refuse to begin to remove ordinances that just dont make sense or that could cost the town money and you will make it a election issue.

nevrenuf1

If your vehicles are non street use and on trailers then the trailers are what need license plates NOT the vehicles and who ever in your town told you that all vehicles must have license plates road use or not has to be wrong because in theory then they could force recreational use 4 wheelers for trail use to be plated even though they may not be legal for street use same goes for off road dirt bikes or snow mobiles (ohh ohhh ohhhhh , does your town ban snow mobile use on its streets ? if they do but dont require license plates on the snowmobile then theres further argument that your off road things do not need them when trailered ) so even if you have seen those ords It may well be worth your time to talk to your city council people and see if they have the money to fund a legal battle over this 50 mile crap and bluff them that you will pay for satellite imagery to take pictures of the entire town and then use those pictures to force the town to ticket every violator of the 50 mile crap. Go house to house and make it clear that this ordinance makes no sense and if your city council insist on keeping it they are going to create legal bills that every one in the town will have to pay. Threaten your town council that you will run for a seat on it if they refuse to begin to remove ordinances that just dont make sense or that could cost the town money and you will make it a election issue.
Thank you for the ideas. They do sit off the trailer during the week thus the reason for the plates on them, as I only currently have 1 trailer for 2 activities, but either way they are sitting in my parking area in my back yard on my property. The cool neighbor right beside me, loves my toys and is also aggravated by this crap they are pulling.

154NH773

To some, complaints about neighboring property may be "nit-picking", but depending on the situation it could be a major factor in property values.

We are hearing only one side of the story, so it's impossible to take sides, so all I can offer is that you must either follow the law or challenge it.

The law doesn't prevent you from owning or storing these "toys" on your property, but if they are un-inspected they probably must be out of sight in a garage.

Many towns have laws similar to this. They may say outside vehicles must be licensed and operable. The purpose is to protect neighboring property values from blight. You may not feel your situation fits that description, and you may be correct, but the law has to cover most situations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">