• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

composing a legal letter to an unstable person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JadeGal

Florida
I am in the process of composing a letter to send to someone who is a bit unstable. About a year ago, this individual came for a visit bringing quite a bit of personal belongings with her. She left without taking it with her. Since that time, my husband and I have come to the conclusion that it is simply unhealthy to have this person in our presence. I want the items removed from our home, but it would be too costly for us to mail the items to Missouri. So I would like to compose a letter, send it CMRR and handle it properly and legally.
Could someone direct me on the proper formation of this letter?

Last edited by a moderator:

HomeGuru

Florida
I am in the process of composing a letter to send to someone who is a bit unstable. About a year ago, this individual came for a visit bringing quite a bit of personal belongings with her. She left without taking it with her. Since that time, my husband and I have come to the conclusion that it is simply unhealthy to have this person in our presence. I want the items removed from our home, but it would be too costly for us to mail the items to Missouri. So I would like to compose a letter, send it CMRR and handle it properly and legally.
Could someone direct me on the proper formation of this letter?
**A: what is the value of the items? Read the abandoned property laws.

JadeGal

Thank you, I will read the abandoned property laws.
And I would estimate the value to be around maybe $800.00.
I did speak with an officer today and he recommended that we
first get the items off our property and second send the CMRR letter.
This is the avenue we will be taking.
Thanks again for your help.

dlw99

letter

Date

Name of recipient
Street address of recipient
City & State of recipient

via: method of delivery (certified mail return receipt?)

Dear __________ (unstable person);

As you may recall, you left your _____, _______, & ________ at our home during your visit last year.

Please be advised that because of the considerable expense of shipping the items to you in Missouri, we have stored them at ______________.

You may make arrangements to pick them up sometime within the next ____ days. After that, they will be (given away, disposed of, whatever the case may be).

We are sorry we are unable to store these things for you any longer, and hope you are able to make arrangements to retrieve them at the new location.

Sincerely,

You and your husband
Your address here, or at the top of page.

you may or may not want to cc the police officer here.

It could be perceived as inflammatory, but it could also cover you in case unstable person decides to complain to your local police department.

Good luck.

FarmerJ

Do your self a favor , go through the things and write a inventory list , you know, 8 pair white socks , three pair blue jeans , toaster , box misc forks, spoons , butter knifes , then take pics , also Its tough to suggest it but should you find photographs I would say save them for this person and even if its via third class mail consider sending them to the person sometime after the dead line has passed. The inventory and pics will help settle any dispute as to what was left behind should there be one. I cant say its a good idea to remove the items yet from your direct care because they are still just that > under your direct care < now if you say gave her notice ( time frame for abandoned property notices in your state ) to make arrangements to collect/ pick up or pre pay sending you the funds to ship her things to her all at once and she doesnt do anything then so be it, BTW if she refuses to pick up her mail and sign for it leave that envelope sealed in orginal condition stored safely with your reciepts so if she ever tried to make a civil claim against you then you have proof of the notice sent and returned to you and she can explain to the court why she refused to get her mail.

xylene

I like it! Few thoughts

Name of recipient

via: method of delivery (certified mail return receipt?) GOOD

As you may recall, you left your _____, _______, & ________ at our home during your visit last year. (ensure this is a compete inventory)

Please be advised that because of the considerable expense of shipping the items to you in Missouri, We have stored them at ______________.

delete the underlined. It would not matter.

The manager at the storage unit has your information, and you may make any arrangements you wish with them. We have paid the rent for the legally required ____ days. After that, the storage unit will lock the items and then liquidate them. No contact needed and any loss is on someone else.

We are unable to store these things for you any longer. We do wish you the best and regret it has come to this. Don't apologize when you've done nothing wrong.

Sincerely,

You and your husband

dlw99

Date the letter

Name of recipient

via: method of delivery (certified mail return receipt?) GOOD

As you may recall, you left your _____, _______, & ________ at our home during your visit last year. (ensure this is a compete inventory)

Please be advised that because of the considerable expense of shipping the items to you in Missouri, We have stored them at ______________.

delete the underlined. It would not matter.

The manager at the storage unit has your information, and you may make any arrangements you wish with them. We have paid the rent for the legally required ____ days. After that, the storage unit will lock the items and then liquidate them. No contact needed and any loss is on someone else.

We are unable to store these things for you any longer. We do wish you the best and regret it has come to this. Don't apologize when you've done nothing wrong.

Sincerely,

You and your husband
I agree with this poster's thoughtful comments, but don't forget to date the letter!

JadeGal

I want to thank those who posted on this. My husband and I followed your advice. We sent the letter CMRR through a family attorney, so we did not have to have direct contact. The reason we had to ban this person from our home was because I came across a folder that I thought was my husband's. It was filled with stacks of restraining orders. I had no idea this person was capable of such violence, so upon learning this we had to ban her from coming to our home. This is where the problem came in regarding her belongings. Once she received the letter that she was no longer welcome, this is when the threats began and have continued to escalate to date. I posted on another Thread on that. Thank you again for your help on this thread. At least we have closure on this post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">