• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Condo neighbor's cooking smells invading our unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoeyzena

What is the name of your state?NJ

My husband and I moved into our condo 1 1/2 years ago. About 6 months ago, we began getting horrible cooking and cleaning smells coming from our next door neighbor's unit, with whom we share one side of our unit. They have been doing some remodeling in their unit, however I don't know if this is the cause. We get woken up on Saturday mornings with the intense smell of onions cooking, we get the odor of strong cleaning products and quite often, during the week, we get the smell of some sort of meat and usually more onions cooking. There are times when I have to leave the house because I cannot breathe for the horrible stench, especially from the cleaning products. I don't know if we have any legal recourse, but I would like to know if there is anything we can do. It's more annoying than the loud music they sometimes play. I asked our condo association president if we could do anything about it. They said no and mentioned that they sometimes get the smell of coffee in their downstairs bathroom from their neighbors. If only that was our problem. We get the smells throughout our entire house. Help! Is there anything we can do? We worry about when we decide to sell in a few years. No one is going to want to buy a condo that smells like onions.

nextwife

My mom's condo unit smells of roast brisket from next door. YUMMMM. Unions from her neighbor as well. That's condo life unless you have a free standing seperate condo unit. It's far better than pet odors or the reek of cigarettes and cigars that my next door neighbor smoked at my old condo.

Honestly, as cooking odors are transitory, it would be very difficult to prove that these are a consistant problem, even if there were bylaws against them.

HomeGuru

zoeyzena said:
What is the name of your state?NJ

My husband and I moved into our condo 1 1/2 years ago. About 6 months ago, we began getting horrible cooking and cleaning smells coming from our next door neighbor's unit, with whom we share one side of our unit. They have been doing some remodeling in their unit, however I don't know if this is the cause. We get woken up on Saturday mornings with the intense smell of onions cooking, we get the odor of strong cleaning products and quite often, during the week, we get the smell of some sort of meat and usually more onions cooking. There are times when I have to leave the house because I cannot breathe for the horrible stench, especially from the cleaning products. I don't know if we have any legal recourse, but I would like to know if there is anything we can do. It's more annoying than the loud music they sometimes play. I asked our condo association president if we could do anything about it. They said no and mentioned that they sometimes get the smell of coffee in their downstairs bathroom from their neighbors. If only that was our problem. We get the smells throughout our entire house. Help! Is there anything we can do? We worry about when we decide to sell in a few years. No one is going to want to buy a condo that smells like onions.

**A: are you sure the neighbors are not cooking up a fresh batch of crystal meth?

msiron

HomeGuru said:
**A: are you sure the neighbors are not cooking up a fresh batch of crystal meth?
I was thinking that too .... using the other cooking odors to mask the meth smell. Call the police and tell them you suspect meth. woooo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">