• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Constant Dog Barking Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toshwaka

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

I live in a small circle (with a homeowner's ass'n) comprised of only about 20 older type families [meaning mostly over 60, no small children, except on wkend's] which is on a beautiful fjiord-type body of water that people come from hundreds of miles around to vacation in our area and to enjoy. It is so quiet here year round, that is the reason I bought the property. About 2 months ago my next door neighbors bought one of those small lap-type dogs that bark from morning until dark. They leave the dog outside all the time. I wake up hearing the dog bark and that is what I go to bed listening to. When I go outside to do yardwork (which used to be a quiet, peaceful time for me) the dog is on the other side of the fence, about 6 inch's from where I sit planting flowers and barks at me the whole time. I forgot the terms that express legally what is happening to me, about what I have lost, the peace I used to have, the right to enjoy the quiet I used to have. We are having a homeowners meeting next Saturday, June 19th, and I want to know what to say. I am a 60 yr old woman, alone, but I did use to crab fish in the Bering Sea and trap and hunt in Alaska, and I was a loner, so I'm used to being alone but not used to nicely asking people to shut their d#*!!! DOG UP!!! How do I do this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

154NH773

Communication is the best starting process. Talk to the dog owners and express your concerns and ask if they can help you to resolve the problem.

It may not be the best to bring this up at the meeting. I would go to the officials of the HOA and ask for a copy of the by-laws and rules and regulations. If there are rules that apply, then make a formal complaint to the HOA.

It there are no rules that apply, the owners are unresponsive, and there are no local laws regarding barking dogs, then you may be out of luck without a costly legal attempt to resolve the problem.

My brother had a similar problem and tape recorded the dog's barking, which he then played back over a large speaker system - late at night, aimed back at the neighbor's house. They got the message and the dog was never allowed to bark outside again.

toshwaka

Thank you

Your reply gave me several ideas and options I hadn't thought of. I had been looking around for a copy of the HOA rules but haven't found mine yet. As I said, I'm a loner & not good @ talking, better @ being alone. But yesterday I did go out and buy a digital tape recorder (as a birthday present to myself, to try to get some Alaska stories down before they are lost forever) so that idea strikes a chord with me. I appreciate your help. I will work on the neighborly ideas. With the emphasis on WORK. Thanks again...

candg918

Research anti-bark collars; online pet supply websites have them, and you could point this out when you make your complaint.

tranquility

While, if someone had a LOT of money, this could be a legal problem, it seems a personal problem. Talk to the person. Heck, talk to the dog. (Dogs LOVE steak.)

Make him yours. There is no reason for unpleasantness.

toshwaka

stop dog bark device

I've recently seen these advertised on TV & have thought of this as well. Thanks for the ideas.

toshwaka

One Question Remains

One question just keeps running through my mind though. Why do people who own dogs think that letting their dogs bark outside all day long is OK? I don't understand the mindset. Doesn't the sound of the constant barking get on their nerves too? Or is that why they keep the dogs outside? Oh well, that's just me, letting out my thoughts on this issue.

It's called "Selective Hearing". They can only hear stuff that they want to hear... regardless of how loud and annoying it is to the rest of us.

A suggestion of a bark collar would do good here.

nextwife

One question just keeps running through my mind though. Why do people who own dogs think that letting their dogs bark outside all day long is OK? I don't understand the mindset. Doesn't the sound of the constant barking get on their nerves too? Or is that why they keep the dogs outside? Oh well, that's just me, letting out my thoughts on this issue.
Dogs are social animals, pack animals. They need interaction with their "pack". People who love and understand their dogs don't leave them outside, alone and bored all day. Dogs need and love to socialize.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">