• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor next door damaged my roof

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RoofIssue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I live in a row house in Baltimore. A contractor bought the property next door to renovate and flip. Over the summer, I noticed water stains on my 2nd floor office ceiling. I went up on the roof and saw (and took pictures of) his open and exposed roof. There were a few tarps blowing about. Inspecting further, I noticed that his contractor ripped up part of my roof (row house roof rubber overlaps) and left it exposed. I looked under the roof line where my roof had been affected and clearly saw and took photos of water entering my home. The location along the roof directly corresponds to the water damage on my ceiling. Exact match. That was June. I have text messages to my boyfriend (he's my co-homeowner) on that day, so it is recorded and the photos were taken with my phone. They have now been uploaded to my computer.
I am busy and work in another city, so I waited until August to contact my insurance co. They came out, assessed the damage at $730. My deductible is $1000. So they suggested I ask the neighbor to pay for it. He happened to be here that day so my adjuster went over and spoke to him, and the neighbor said of course, he would work it out with me. The neighbor came over and looked at the roof and promised that when the drywall was installed in his house he'd "send his best guy over to do mine". I asked him in person and via text almost weekly for updates and pressed that this needs to be repaired.
It is now late February, he has his house for sale and is never here. He ignores my calls and texts. When I do catch him here, he lies to my face that he'll have someone out to fix it, or yes he'll pay for my own guy, or let's meet this Friday, etc. Any number of excuses to keep pushing me off, week by week, until he sells the house and is gone. I kept things very agreeable and amicable until this month. I've begun leaving notes taped on his front door in an effort to get him to respond to me. His only response is that I'm damaging his door and trespassing. He is threatening to call the police and says he's contacted his lawyer. I asked him to yes, please have his lawyer contact me. I'd love to speak with someone that represents him. But nothing. So, notes are still going up. I also send him the same text message every day stating that he needs to pay for the damages to my house caused by his workers.

So, two questions:

1. How do I get this guy to pay for the repairs?
2. Am I doing anything illegal in my efforts to get him to deal with me?

Thank you!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I live in a row house in Baltimore. A contractor bought the property next door to renovate and flip. Over the summer, I noticed water stains on my 2nd floor office ceiling. I went up on the roof and saw (and took pictures of) his open and exposed roof. There were a few tarps blowing about. Inspecting further, I noticed that his contractor ripped up part of my roof (row house roof rubber overlaps) and left it exposed. I looked under the roof line where my roof had been affected and clearly saw and took photos of water entering my home. The location along the roof directly corresponds to the water damage on my ceiling. Exact match. That was June. I have text messages to my boyfriend (he's my co-homeowner) on that day, so it is recorded and the photos were taken with my phone. They have now been uploaded to my computer.
I am busy and work in another city, so I waited until August to contact my insurance co. They came out, assessed the damage at $730. My deductible is $1000. So they suggested I ask the neighbor to pay for it. He happened to be here that day so my adjuster went over and spoke to him, and the neighbor said of course, he would work it out with me. The neighbor came over and looked at the roof and promised that when the drywall was installed in his house he'd "send his best guy over to do mine". I asked him in person and via text almost weekly for updates and pressed that this needs to be repaired.
It is now late February, he has his house for sale and is never here. He ignores my calls and texts. When I do catch him here, he lies to my face that he'll have someone out to fix it, or yes he'll pay for my own guy, or let's meet this Friday, etc. Any number of excuses to keep pushing me off, week by week, until he sells the house and is gone. I kept things very agreeable and amicable until this month. I've begun leaving notes taped on his front door in an effort to get him to respond to me. His only response is that I'm damaging his door and trespassing. He is threatening to call the police and says he's contacted his lawyer. I asked him to yes, please have his lawyer contact me. I'd love to speak with someone that represents him. But nothing. So, notes are still going up. I also send him the same text message every day stating that he needs to pay for the damages to my house caused by his workers.

So, two questions:

1. How do I get this guy to pay for the repairs?
2. Am I doing anything illegal in my efforts to get him to deal with me?

Thank you!
If you want to get this fellow's attention and have him pay for the repairs to your roof, you can file suit against him in Small Claims.

Good luck.

(please do not revive archived threads - thank you)

single317dad

I would go ahead and get my roof fixed, and THEN file suit to reclaim the damages. Have your chosen contractor log all the damage and the source of damage. It would be a great bonus if that person was willing to testify to his findings in a court hearing.

Get multiple estimates and choose a reasonable one from a reliable contractor.

One reason to go ahead with the work is that continuing damage due to your failure to get the repair done may not be the responsibility of the neighbor, while the original problem most likely is.

I would not recommend you enter this person's property anymore.

STEPHAN

Inspecting further, I noticed that his contractor ripped up part of my roof (row house roof rubber overlaps) and left it exposed.
What evidence do you have that is was the contractor? How do you know that it was not there before, especially if you did not care for such a long time?

I would repair damage to my roof right away before it causes further damage that could be way more expensive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">