• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

control freaks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicegirl37

What is the name of your state? nevada

My driveway runs up between mine and my neighbors house. They use my drive to park at top (in their backyard). I bought house 6 months ago, with no easement, no shared driveway, nothing but the word of realtor that I own drive and they use it. Problem, they have people park up here and block me in, they complained about my retaining wall being built on their land (it's three feet on my side). Being controling of everything and telling me they own it. I had a pro locate the original buried pin in front on other side of my drive which means I DO OWN IT. They accepted the pin location and declined to have a survey done. Can I have make them stop using my driveway? I don't have space for my family to park our cars because I only have room for 2 cars. Apparently the last owners and before that did share it, off the record with nothing on the deeds. Does permissive use or encroaching with the 20 years count if we are both new to owning this land? would they have to prove that all previous owners for 20 years have shared it or can i simply tell them to find their own space? They told me they owned part of my driveway and owned the entire driveway next to them. They are not disputing the marking we found, and they have declined to get a survey. Thanks for any advice, I'm in a real bind and want to keep the peace....with them not using my space any longer :(

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Get your own survey done to back up your situation then call zoning and learn if you can put a fence up that would sit 2 or 3 inches into your side of the lot line, If you can do this then ID say to have a consultation with a real estate atty to learn the odds of them winning a prescriptive easement, If the atty gives you a green light then include a gate for your driveway and fence that side of your lot in and let them sue, Either they are blowing wind or they will speak to a atty.

nicegirl37

Well, it's all good advice, but costly :( I did already speak to my atty and he said he'd write a no trespass letter, but he said i should get a survey. I just dont have $3,000 and that is what I was quoted by one place. I have three pins located and the original survey. I'd loveee to put up a fence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">