• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy neighbor, crazy barking dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wysiwyg6000

State of New Jersey

I have a direct downstairs neighbor in my condo who is literally crazy. This woman suffers from bipolar disorder and is a little off in every sense of the way outside of this primary disorder. She was gifted a dog by her niece this past February, who in hindsight gave it to her probably because the dog has issues. This thing barks constantly for sustained periods, sometimes over nothing at all. She does nothing to stop the thing while I'm stomping my feet on the floor trying to tell her to stop. We are not on speaking terms as I spoke with another neighbor and told them that I was going to complain about the dog, only to in turn tell the offending neighbor.

I've had disputes with the downstairs neighbor before as she used to constantly BLAST her music for numerous years. I have literally told her dozens of times over the years to lower her music and she did it for a day and then continued to blast her music in the future. In all honesty, I've developed an anxiety disorder because of her and I cannot take any form of loud and sustained noise anymore as it sends me into an angry fit. Is there anything that I can do against her to either have her or the dog forcefully removed from the unit? These are non-rental units, so she "owns" the unit. This woman is having a blast living here while I've been suffering for the past 5 1/2 years. Please help!!! :(

justalayman

If these are owned units, I presume there is a COA or such. If so, search the rules for nuisances and see what the rules say about such an issue.

I would suppose there are also laws or ordinances that might be applicable as well. Contact your local governing offices or police and inquire.

usafdrew

have you never filed a complaint in the past 5-1/2 years? If not then make up for lost time man. Start filing a complaint every time. The police will get tired of giving warnings and eventually this nutcase will get a citation. It will take time and grief, but hitting her purse in the end is worth it. You seem a non-confrontational person, but this is clearly affecting your life so you must take action. Being a respectful and polite person myself, I have no tolerance for these typs of people.

TigerD

State of New Jersey

I have a direct downstairs neighbor in my condo who is literally crazy. This woman suffers from bipolar disorder and is a little off in every sense of the way outside of this primary disorder.
Not relevant and not your business

She was gifted a dog by her niece this past February, who in hindsight gave it to her probably because the dog has issues. This thing barks constantly for sustained periods, sometimes over nothing at all. She does nothing to stop the thing while I'm stomping my feet on the floor trying to tell her to stop.
How do you know what she is doing while you are stomping on the floor antagonizing her dog and harassing her?

We are not on speaking terms as I spoke with another neighbor and told them that I was going to complain about the dog, only to in turn tell the offending neighbor.
I don't blame her. You seem to be a very unpleasant neighbor to have. I'd have had an unpleasant conversation with you if you behaved in that manner to my Mom.

I've had disputes with the downstairs neighbor before as she used to constantly BLAST her music for numerous years. I have literally told her dozens of times over the years to lower her music and she did it for a day and then continued to blast her music in the future.
Perhaps you should consider moving -- you are obviously not cut out for apartment living.

In all honesty, I've developed an anxiety disorder because of her and I cannot take any form of loud and sustained noise anymore as it sends me into an angry fit.
So you are mentally unstable and refusing to exit the circumstances that trigger your illness? Think about that. Move.

Is there anything that I can do against her to either have her or the dog forcefully removed from the unit? These are non-rental units, so she "owns" the unit. This woman is having a blast living here while I've been suffering for the past 5 1/2 years. Please help!!! :(
Move or don't move. You live in an apartment, get over it.

DC

usafdrew

How do you know what she is doing while you are stomping on the floor antagonizing her dog and harassing her?

I don't blame her. You seem to be a very unpleasant neighbor to have. I'd have had an unpleasant conversation with you if you behaved in that manner to my Mom.

Perhaps you should consider moving -- you are obviously not cut out for apartment living.

So you are mentally unstable and refusing to exit the circumstances that trigger your illness? Think about that. Move.

DC
So harsh..sheesh! I can relate to this dude as I have a problem neighbor on my zero-lot line. Granted it's not apartment living, but with the homes so close it has its similarities. I think DC has some good points tho. You may be letting your emotions get the best of you; especially letting it go on for so long. You do have to have more of a tolerance for things in apartment living, but you should not have to sacrifice your well-being. If these things are truly a nuisance to you and they are also in violation, do what is within your rights and report it. Every time.

wysiwyg6000

DC
It's because of people like you that I generally don't post on message boards...there's always some threadcrapper who has nothing else to do with themselves but dissect everyone's post and try to twist it around.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Call animal control over uncontrolled barking. Complain to your HOA/ COA. I'm sure there is something in there about quiet enjoyment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">