• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Creepy neighbor or is he just trying ot help out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mapper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

A couple of weeks ago while my husband was at work I was outside mowing the yard and doing some weed whacking.I had finished and was standing by the fence talking to our next door neighbor when a guy walked by with a shovel and stopped. He was probably about 50 and said that his name was Mike and that he lived, actually his ex girlfriend, lived at the end of the block and he used to keep the block clean. He saw me earlier trying to get the weeds out from the cracks in the sidewalk and had a better way to do it. I was like "okay sure". So he proceeded to start taking them out with the shovel. I continued talking to the neighbor and asked if he knew who the guy was and he had no clue. Shortly thereafter he said he broke his shovel and that he'd be right back. I was kind of uneasy because I have no idea who this guy is or why he is working on our yard. Well while he was gone I got the mower back in the garage and shut it up and went inside. My husband pulled in the driveway just as the guy was returning with a new shovel and a wheelbarrow. The guy told him he was just helping me out. My husband thought that was odd but let him finish what he was doing. When he was done, the guy proceeded to come down our driveway and take our compost bin to the sidewalk and dump everything. Okay... Yeah you need somewhere to put it but it might have been nice to ask to use it first before helping yourself to it! The next day he walked by slowly looking at his work. Kind of weirded me out.

Then a few days later my husband and I were in the back room and I went into the kitchen and look out the window and I see this orange cord stretched across the driveway and yard. The guy was back and had plugged in an edger next to our side door and was edging our driveway! Okay, now it's getting a little creepy that he just came onto our property and plugged in an edger and decided to continue working on our yard. I told my husband and he went outside and asked the guy if he was expecting some money or something and the guy goes "No I just like making the block look nice". When he was done he once again proceeded to come by our garage and wheel our compost bin back out to the sidewalk and put the clippings in it without asking us first. Alright 1) He said his EX girlfriend lived down the block so why is he here all the time and why does he care how the block looks if he doesn't live here? and 2) Why has he not touched anybody else's yard on the block except ours when practically every other house needs their weeds taken out of the sidewalk and the yard edged?

Last night we were sitting in our living room and watched the guy walk past our place again looking at the yard and then turned around and went back. We are both getting weirded out by his behavior. We've seen him walk by and turn around on 2 separate occasions so who knows how many times he's gone by that we haven't seen him?

Last edited:

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

A couple of weeks ago while my husband was at work I was outside mowing the yard and doing some weed whacking.I had finished and was standing by the fence talking to our next door neighbor when a guy walked by with a shovel and stopped. He was probably about 50 and said that his name was Mike and that he lived, actually his ex girlfriend, lived at the end of the block and he used to keep the block clean. He saw me earlier trying to get the weeds out from the cracks in the sidewalk and had a better way to do it. I was like "okay sure". So he proceeded to start taking them out with the shovel. I continued talking to the neighbor and asked if he knew who the guy was and he had no clue. Shortly thereafter he said he broke his shovel and that he'd be right back. I was kind of uneasy because I have no idea who this guy is or why he is working on our yard. Well while he was gone I got the mower back in the garage and shut it up and went inside. My husband pulled in the driveway just as the guy was returning with a new shovel and a wheelbarrow. The guy told him he was just helping me out. My husband thought that was odd but let him finish what he was doing. When he was done, the guy proceeded to come down our driveway and take our compost bin to the sidewalk and dump everything. Okay... Yeah you need somewhere to put it but it might have been nice to ask to use it first before helping yourself to it! The next day he walked by slowly looking at his work. Kind of weirded me out.

Then a few days later my husband and I were in the back room and I went into the kitchen and look out the window and I see this orange cord stretched across the driveway and yard. The guy was back and had plugged in an edger next to our side door and was edging our driveway! Okay, now it's getting a little creepy that he just came onto our property and plugged in an edger and decided to continue working on our yard. I told my husband and he went outside and asked the guy if he was expecting some money or something and the guy goes "No I just like making the block look nice". When he was done he once again proceeded to come by our garage and wheel our compost bin back out to the sidewalk and put the clippings in it without asking us first. Alright 1) He said his EX girlfriend lived down the block so why is he here all the time and why does he care how the block looks if he doesn't live here? and 2) Why has he not touched anybody else's yard on the block except ours when practically every other house needs their weeds taken out of the sidewalk and the yard edged?

Last night we were sitting in our living room and watched the guy walk past our place again looking at the yard and then turned around and went back. We are both getting weirded out by his behavior. We've seen him walk by and turn around on 2 separate occasions so who knows how many times he's gone by that we haven't seen him?
You've posed many questions that are not legal in nature, and not answerable by anyone other than "Mike."

OHRoadwarrior

He appears to be the secret agent of the owner. By his miraculous gardening abilities, he is attempting to turn the neighborhood against you, by giving you the best manicured lawn in the area. In the process, he is planting hidden cameras and microphones, so the owner can attempt to find criminal cause to evict you. He is actually a retired communist spy, planted in the US before the Cold War and is now attempting to freelance until retirement.:cool:

Mapper

He appears to be the secret agent of the owner. By his miraculous gardening abilities, he is attempting to turn the neighborhood against you, by giving you the best manicured lawn in the area. In the process, he is planting hidden cameras and microphones, so the owner can attempt to find criminal cause to evict you. He is actually a retired communist spy, planted in the US before the Cold War and is now attempting to freelance until retirement.:cool:
Wow. No sarcasm whatsoever in these posts. I figured it MIGHT be relevant to law because he's coming into our yard and plugging tools in without asking and using our compost bin without asking and we don't even know he's doing any of it, at least not the second time he did it, until he's half done. That's like me walking over to some random person's yard a block over and going up to their door and plugging in tools and working away without even asking.

Jeesh! Forget I posted!

Silverplum

Wow. No sarcasm whatsoever in these posts. I figured it MIGHT be relevant to law because he's coming into our yard and plugging tools in without asking and using our compost bin without asking and we don't even know he's doing any of it, at least not the second time he did it, until he's half done. That's like me walking over to some random person's yard a block over and going up to their door and plugging in tools and working away without even asking.

Jeesh! Forget I posted!
Alrighty.

:cool:

FarmerJ

SO glad I have the DEEEEluxe model Aluminum hat handy. OK original poster have your husband buy a thank you card that is blank on the inside TO send it to that person in the mail and in the card to say , thank you for your assistance with the yard , its all fine now and I should be able to handle it fine from here so there will be no further assistance needed ( signed your husbands name) then go get a nanny cam system and record what goes on in your yard ( get video of any further intrusions into your yard , then if needed next letter to be confirmed mail delivery ` name` stay off of my property` , dated and signed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
SO glad I have the DEEEEluxe model Aluminum hat handy. OK original poster have your husband buy a thank you card that is blank on the inside TO send it to that person in the mail and in the card to say , thank you for your assistance with the yard , its all fine now and I should be able to handle it fine from here so there will be no further assistance needed ( signed your husbands name) then go get a nanny cam system and record what goes on in your yard ( get video of any further intrusions into your yard , then if needed next letter to be confirmed mail delivery ` name` stay off of my property` , dated and signed.
...and maybe even a cd copy of the video ;)

LdiJ

You guys just can't let it go can you? I'm SO glad I'm your source of entertainment. You guys are the best! Love ya :) I'm looking forward to the next dis. Bring it on, can't wait, etc.
I happen to agree with you that its a bit creepy. My side yard grows twice as fast as the rest of my yard and my previous next door neighbor often cut my side yard when he was cutting his...just to be neighborly. It wasn't any big effort for him and it saved me hauling out the mower more often than really necessary. That was not creepy, that was neighborly. What this guy is doing is a bit creepy.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I happen to agree with you that its a bit creepy. My side yard grows twice as fast as the rest of my yard and my previous next door neighbor often cut my side yard when he was cutting his...just to be neighborly. It wasn't any big effort for him and it saved me hauling out the mower more often than really necessary. That was not creepy, that was neighborly. What this guy is doing is a bit creepy.
Or maybe he is working for the landlord. Did you read her posting history?

Ben T

I've had similar experiences. I would make sure to let him know "thanks" and we'll be handling it from here. Take pictures of what has occurred and make sure that he is not trying this again. Nothing good can come out of it in my experience - like further trespass, favor-for-a-favor request, and other creepy stuff. In short - he is up to something.

Cheers,

Ben T

LdiJ

Or maybe he is working for the landlord. Did you read her posting history?
I did...but the kinds of things that the creepy guy was doing are not normally the kinds of things that a landlord could require a tenant to do...and if he was taking care of normal landlord functions, or working on behalf of the landlord, why pretend otherwise?

Edging a driveway or getting weeds out of a common sidewalk are things that homeowners do out of pride in home ownership. They are not normally things that tenants are required to do. Tenants are required to cut the grass and keep trash out of the yard. The city/municipality can cite you for not cutting your grass, they cannot cite you for not edging your driveway....LOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">