• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cutting of a tree on a deeded ROW..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Misa

What is the name of your state? Maine

Our property and our neighbors to one side of us are subject to a 10 foot ROW that benefits the neighbor's lot to the rear of us. As he has existing access to his lot already, he does not use this as a driveway..yet. He began work on the ROW this past spring, digging up the lawn..hauling away the fill (which he never returned despite a letter from our Atty) , and placing gravel down to make a "road bed". In the process he cut down a tree that had a 27" base at it's widest point.

The tree was completely on MY property, however, almost half of the tree grew within the 10' ROW. He did not seek our permission to cut down the tree, nor did he (as one would hope) inquire if we would consider moving the ROW for him to preserve the tree.

We have been to court over the ROW issue and have had several heated exchanges with this (and other issues..most of them dimissed because of his false accusations).

We were ordered NOT to obstruct the ROW, but what about him? He dropped this tree in May and it still sits within the ROW, which is yes his ROW, but still my property!

I have researched boundary tree law in the state of Maine and cutting a boundary tree without permission is something I could file...however, I have found no real answer on if that tree is a boundary tree for a ROW. I have consulted lawyers on this who are researching as well.

From what I've been told..he has the right to pass and repass but cannot "improve" the ROW, ex: he cannot pave it. Wouldn't cutting a tree down be considered "improvement"? Or would this tree likely be viewed as an obstruction of his 10' ROW? The tree encroached about 12" into the ROW, was over 100 feet tall and provided the only real shade to my backyard :(

Any ideas would be most appreciated :)

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Maine

Our property and our neighbors to one side of us are subject to a 10 foot ROW that benefits the neighbor's lot to the rear of us. As he has existing access to his lot already, he does not use this as a driveway..yet. He began work on the ROW this past spring, digging up the lawn..hauling away the fill (which he never returned despite a letter from our Atty) , and placing gravel down to make a "road bed". In the process he cut down a tree that had a 27" base at it's widest point.

The tree was completely on MY property, however, almost half of the tree grew within the 10' ROW. He did not seek our permission to cut down the tree, nor did he (as one would hope) inquire if we would consider moving the ROW for him to preserve the tree.

We have been to court over the ROW issue and have had several heated exchanges with this (and other issues..most of them dimissed because of his false accusations).

We were ordered NOT to obstruct the ROW, but what about him? He dropped this tree in May and it still sits within the ROW, which is yes his ROW, but still my property!

I have researched boundary tree law in the state of Maine and cutting a boundary tree without permission is something I could file...however, I have found no real answer on if that tree is a boundary tree for a ROW. I have consulted lawyers on this who are researching as well.

From what I've been told..he has the right to pass and repass but cannot "improve" the ROW, ex: he cannot pave it. Wouldn't cutting a tree down be considered "improvement"? Or would this tree likely be viewed as an obstruction of his 10' ROW? The tree encroached about 12" into the ROW, was over 100 feet tall and provided the only real shade to my backyard :(

Any ideas would be most appreciated :)
**A: get a survey done then come back and tell us exactly on whose property the tree was on.

Misa

Hi Guru..Already done and should have mentioned that, sorry.

The tree is completely on MY property.

HomeGuru

Hi Guru..Already done and should have mentioned that, sorry.

The tree is completely on MY property.
**A: ok, then it appears that he had reasons to cut the tree since it encroached upon his right of way. You only have cause of action to have him remove the tree. But get an opinion from your attorney.

Misa

OK, if 12" of a 27" tree falls within the ROW, he has a right to cut the whole thing down? I guess that is what is the real question for me, how much did he have a right to.

I don't understand what you mean by "cause of action"?

HomeGuru

OK, if 12" of a 27" tree falls within the ROW, he has a right to cut the whole thing down? I guess that is what is the real question for me, how much did he have a right to.

I don't understand what you mean by "cause of action"?
**A: t he big question would be how do you cut 12" from a tree trunk without removing the whole tree. And start communicating with your attorney.

Misa

Ah yes, that question has also come up. We are waiting on some more info from the Atty before we proceed.

As this is the internet and accessible to anyone, I cannot address specifically what my Atty is researching and why it is taking this long.

HomeGuru

Ah yes, that question has also come up. We are waiting on some more info from the Atty before we proceed.

As this is the internet and accessible to anyone, I cannot address specifically what my Atty is researching and why it is taking this long.
**A: that's ok. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">