• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tired 20

What is the name of your state?Wa
The neighbor has allowed sand to be taken from his property and the in so doing has exposed the roots system of a rather large tree. The tree appears to be on the property line or slightly on his propetry. If it were to fall, it could land on my house. If that happened, would he be liable for damages or would I have to cover it wth my insurance? The concern here is that there are strong wind gusts off of the Pacific Ocean which is only about a mile away whichi could topple the tree in our direction.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Both. YOur insurance company would file against him for contributory negligence.

The problem with your scenario is that, if the tree is either on the property line or on his property, he would have to cross over to your property and dig in a manner to allow the tree to fall in your direction.

In other words, your post doesn't make sense and is not consistent with the physics of motion it would take to cause the damages you fear.

S

seniorjudge

tired 20 said:
What is the name of your state?Wa
The neighbor has allowed sand to be taken from his property and the in so doing has exposed the roots system of a rather large tree. The tree appears to be on the property line or slightly on his propetry. If it were to fall, it could land on my house. If that happened, would he be liable for damages or would I have to cover it wth my insurance?
Explain how it could fall on your house.

Shel77

This is just my thinking so noone yell, :) If the neighbor has exposed a large amount of this trees roots on his property then the tree roots might come up from the ground on his side seeing that the weight of the dirt is gone and then fall onto her property. I can see this happening.

S

seniorjudge

Shel77 said:
This is just my thinking so noone yell, :) If the neighbor has exposed a large amount of this trees roots on his property then the tree roots might come up from the ground on his side seeing that the weight of the dirt is gone and then fall onto her property. I can see this happening.
Yes...the laws of physics are often dispensed with in the great northwest!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">