• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damage to my neighbor - liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clueless-in-CA

What is the name of your state? California

I just found out I have soil causing a lot of damage to the side of my neighbor's house. The problem appears to have been there for a while, and I am a fairly new owner. I checked with my realtor who didn't know a thing about it so either the neighbor is just now complaining about it or it went undisclosed in the sale. Am I liable for all the damage to their house or just to fix the soil? Did I really screw up by not catching this problem when I bought or does the liability lie on the former owner - How far back in time could I go? Thanks for any advice you can give me. :eek:

HomeGuru

Clueless-in-CA said:
What is the name of your state? California

I just found out I have soil causing a lot of damage to the side of my neighbor's house. The problem appears to have been there for a while, and I am a fairly new owner. I checked with my realtor who didn't know a thing about it so either the neighbor is just now complaining about it or it went undisclosed in the sale. Am I liable for all the damage to their house or just to fix the soil? Did I really screw up by not catching this problem when I bought or does the liability lie on the former owner - How far back in time could I go? Thanks for any advice you can give me. :eek:
**A: please state the exact soil problem.

nextwife

HomeGuru said:
**A: yeah, give us the dirt. I am sure this is not your usual garden variety neighborly dispute.

:) The fact that it glowed in the dark might have given you some idea there was a problem......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">